'69 GMC 2500 needs power

I bought a camper special from the family of the origional owner. It's got the 350 4v and the close ratio NP 435 4-speed.It's got the heavy duty springs ,373 Dana gears etc. I had a rebuilt motor put in but am not happy with the power.Apparently they lowered the compression from the stock 9-1 to somewhere below 8-1 (feels like 7.5-1) Anyway,I just came into some bucks and I was thinking about getting a travel trailer (maybe 27 ft.or so) and maybe even getting a better motor so I wouldn't be a traffic hazzard trying to pull the thing in the mountains. I've read about a 388 "stroker" ,that is a 350 block with a 400 crank. Anybody have any idea if this engine would have the power to pull

6-7000 lbs. through the Western mountains without too much trouble? Thanks....Joe
Reply to
Joe Cougar

I would not call the NP435 a close ratio tranny by any means. If it is a close ratio tranny, it is not a NP435. The stock 4 sp that year was a SM465 with is a very tuff tranny with a granny gear also and still "prized" today. A couple of things here. First your gears are too tall for that weight and terrain. You are looking at a 4.10 to 4.56 here. If you want too serious increase engine power I would not waste time and expense with a 383. I would look for a 454 and bolt it in because that engine will perform better tow and at altitude than any 383 will and you might even still get by with your 3.73's with a 454 under the hood. A big block would play well and fit easily in that old truck.

-----------------

TheSnoMan

For any engine to have power it has to be built right. Induction, heads, cam, and exhaust is where the true power comes from in an engine. The kind of $$$$ you want to spend will have some baring on how much power you will get. You already have one of the most solid power building engines ever made! If you want to build it into a stroker, be very careful what combination you go with. 400 rods are typical but are harder on cylinder walls and make for a narrow powerband, 350 rods are a great balance between power and cost. There is also non-factory rod lengths available. Cam selection is vital to making great power where you need it, but a stout cam in a 350 will be toned down in a stroker.

377=stock 350 bore(3.48) with a 400 crank(3.75) with downsized main journals 383=.030(3.51) oversized 350 bore and 400 crank. 388=.060(3.54) oversized 350 bore and 400 crank - AVOID this big of a bore in a stock block at ALL cost. Typically hard to cool and very prone to cracks in cylinder walls.

A GMPerformance Ram Jet 350 is an AWESOME engine for the money. Fuel injection, warrantee, brand new everything(no reconditioned or rebuilt anything)!

GMPerformance also sells a 383, also brand new, but I think its more for hi performance than highway towing.

I would consider working on what you have. Did they install dish pistons? Did they install a milder than original cam? An Edelbrock performer intake, 600 performer carb, SR Torquer heads(67cc for dished pistons - 76cc for flat tops), maybe a Crane Energizer 266 or 272 cam or a comp cams Xtreme

4x4 cam. A setup like this with a great set of headers and a 3inch single exhaust system would give you plenty of pulling power. A strong Hays Borg&Beck performance clutch kit would probably be a good idea for holding power and longevity.

There are SO many ways to go. What way do you wanna go?

Reply to
Shades

BRAIN FART!!! Sorry... I was quoting the stock 350 crank size instead of bore size... I corrected myself below... Don't ask me what was going through my head. I don't think anything was besides air! Please forgive my oops.

Reply to
Shades

4.11 gears maybe. Go here and ask... or read...
Slap

Reply to
TheSnoMan