94 Maxima GXE stalled, won't start

Guys, I need your help and/or ideas for my 94 GXE: Here's the problem:

Running normally, the wife tries to go out into traffic from a parking lot. She taps the gas to accelerate and the engine dies. She couldn't get the engine to restart. Had it towed back to the house, I checked all fuses- all good. Pulled #1 plug and it sparks. Put a timing light on the harmonic balancer and the timing mark does not hit the indicator. Timing belt and belt tensioner were replaced 2 years ago, maybe 20,000 miles on it. I haven't run the diagnostics yet, but I intend to pull the timing belt cover tomorrow morning and make sure the belt didn't slip or lose tension. If it did, I hope and pray to God that I didn't chase the valves! Assuming I'm getting spark, does that mean the infamous crank angle sensor is still good? I've heard the crank sensor can go out instantaneously and will not allow a restart. I haven't verified the fuel system yet, but I wouldn't think it would go out that quickly.

This car has never had any problems starting and has never been abused. We just got back from a 2500 mile and 350 mile roadtrip and it normally runs like a top.

I'd appreciate any ideas or direction on this one!! Thanks in advance.

Chris Hasek

90 & 94 GXE's
Reply to
Chris H
"

There isn't too much for me to say, I'm afraid. Be sure to download codes from the ECU. I am assuming that it makes no effort to start when cranked. If the car sounds normal when cranking and it will crank normally but not start, your belt didn't break . . . but it could have slipped. It is definitely possible that the crank position sensor got fried. Only other thing that I can think of is the ECU itself got toasted so check there too.

Best of luck -

Howard

Reply to
Chris H