95 gmc trans help

I have a 95 gmc 1/2 ton 2 wd with a getrag 5 speed all i have had is problems out of it one shop told me to change the slave cyl,another said the clutch while another said the tranny. I can change the gears smoothly while not running but while it is running i have a hard time getting in 1st and

2nd and occasionally when i put in reverse it grinds as though im not fully pressing the clutch. I have tried the slave cyl and i finally got it bled out ,but it didnt help any at all. What is consisted to changining to an automatic other than the column? Thanks in advance By the way it is a 350 engine
Reply to
rebel

Swapping to a automatic is pretty much R and R Drop the driveshaft, tranny, bellhousing, clutch assy, flywheel. Obtain a flexplate, auto tranny w/converter, swap radiators, plumb the cooler lines, probably swap crossmember, probably shorten or lengthen driveshaft.

Less expensive to R & R the throwout bearing, pilot bushing, clutch disc and pressure plate.

Reply to
Mad Dog

I have seen bent and/or cracked clutch release arms cause these kinds of troubles, also the pivot ball could be flattened or recessed into the bellhousing. Either 1 of these will effectively shorten the clutch travel causing difficult shifting. Worn disk and/or weak/bent fingers on the pressure plate will contribute as well, don't rule out the throwout bearing and pay special attention to the pilot bushing. failing to replace or lubricate the pilot bushing has caused many a wrench to go on a drinking binge ( I speak from experience). That is a fully synchronized transmission and demands a properly operating clutch system to function correctly.

Reply to
Mad Dog

. . ======== ========

10, 2004, 9:15pm From: snipped-for-privacy@lover.net (rebel) I have a 95 gmc 1/2 ton 2 wd with a getrag 5 speed

I can change the gears smoothly while not running, but while it is running i have a hard time getting in 1st and 2nd, and occasionally when i put in reverse it grinds.

I have tried the slave cyl and i finally got it bled out ,but it didnt help any at all.

(A QUESTION) What is consisted to changining to an automatic other than the column?

Thanks in advance By the way it is a 350 engine

Labor and Money

lots of both

MarshMonster ~thinks maybe you need to ask some more questions~ =========== ===========

Reply to