82 c10 1.4l straight 6 backfiring through exhaust

I just bought a 82 c10 with a 4.1l straight 6 Seems to when cold and when letting off the gas back fire through the exhaust.....Running rich is the cause but i was woundering if off hand anyone knew a cause for this...I havent had time to look at it but i was thinking a sticking exhaust valve...could this be right? or something else...Ive never had one bakfire through the exhaust just the carb...Thanks for any help.. Steve C

Reply to
Steve Cook

sidewinder

"sidewinder" snipped-for-privacy@nopsam-hotmail.com

Didn't the 4.1L come with an anti back fire valve? I think I replaced it on my '81 and cured the back fire problem.

AW

Reply to
Hattmakr

Also if it has AIR injection (smog pump) the divertor valve is suposed to cut off the air to the exhaust at decel. It will have a manifold vacuum hose going to it. If it isnt working it will cause a backfire in the exhaust (and possible blown up muffler) :)POW!

Reply to
Scott M