1987 f150 smells "rich" out of the tailpipe?

Hello, I have a 4.9 6 cylinder and it seems to run perfect and idle perfect but the fumes are terrible. I can smell it burning rich out of the tailpipe? No check engine light is on. I dont even know if my truck has a check engine light..lol... Any ideas?? Thanks:)

Reply to
:

I'm confused. Is that a question or a statement?

No check engine light is on. I dont even know if my

How do you know it's not on if you don't even know it if has one?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Hello, It is a question. The truck is burning my eyes from the smell. The weird thing is it runs excellent. Could it be carbon buildup (134k miles) or 02 sensor? I dont know if it has one as Ive never seen the check engine light up...maybe 87 was not equipted with one? Thanks.

Reply to
:

I would be looking at the fuel pressure regulator. Many of them from that era have failed. Pull the vacuum hose. If there is fuel, it is definitely bad. If not, check the fuel pressure anyway.

Your CEL should come on for a few seconds every time you start the engine. If not, check the lamp. You should also chack the ECM for error codes that may be stored which may assist in isolating your problem. You can find instructions on how to do this with an assistant here:

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

I think he should be looking for a mechanic.

He has asked two questions about broken stuff, then followed up both of them with a statement that he doesn't even know what he has.

Sorry to sound so harsh, but he does not seem to have the neeeded skills to work on his truck.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thank You so much.. I will take the dash out to see if there is a lamp out on the check engine light. :)Nel

Reply to
:

You may be correct. Unfortunately, there are many who ask questions here who are obviously in over their heads. I have never quite understood how so many folks can simply jump into a 2 ton piece of equipment and be on their merry way at 80 mph day after day while knowing nothing of the complexities, dangers or capabilities (limitations?) involved. My wife and daughter are both guilty of this despite my efforts to convince them to at least pay attention to what is going on before it breaks and at least learn more than just where to put the gas and how to work the radio. In the end many, if not most, would be much better off building a close relationship with a good technician. Sometimes, I almost hope I haven't given out enough info for them to hurt themselves. It would be nice if they could outline their mechanical abilities and capabilities before gathering a mountain of info for which they have no capability of using.

Cheers

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

I wonder if one could give well meaning advice to a moron, the moron makes his best attempt to follow that advice and maybe falls short, or maybe does everything but there is missing stuff that he should do but didn't, and ultimately has a vehicular disaster of the sort that winds up on The Evening News, and then he or his victims turn around and file a lawsuit against the person that offered up the well meaning advice.

I can't help but think that some crazy judge somewhere will find in favor ofthe moron ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I suppose the only defense would be a reasonable judge who understands only answering the question asked. Then, of course, a reasonable judge would not be listening to a case like that, would they?

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut