87 Chevy 350 Burb - Coolant leak rear of engine

87 Chevy Suburban S10 3/4 T. 350 cui A/C - Factory Rebuilt Engine has about 60K Mi.

I'm leaking coolant from right rear of engine...

Yep...I'm in denial...any alternative explanation to a blown head gasket? Apparently I had a bad rad cap...ignorantly drove it with low coolant...replaced the cap...replenished it...took several qts...there was no leak at that time...just took it on a grueling 1000 mi. trip with hills ...no leaks. No probs.

No coolant in oil...no oil in coolant. No coolant in exhaust.

Is there a freeze plug located either in the head or the block that could be corroded?

Replaced heater core about 6 mos ago...corrosion a factor?

Just recently started out as a small intermittent leak...all of a sudden copious pools of coolant on the ground after running for a few minutes...

Any diagnostics you could recommend?

Tnx in advance...

Mick

Reply to
mick

Maybe you are lucky and a freeze plug has rotted out.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Reply to
wantu2much

Thanks Mark and all others who responded...

I'll pressurize the cooling system this week and see if I can spot the leak with a mirror...maybe I'll get lucky and it'll be either the intake manifold or something less major...in any case, I birddog it and report back for future...

Still in a state of Denali:)

Mick

Reply to
mick

GOOD NEWS:

Mark was right on with intake manifold leak...had a mech do it...as I don't have the tools etc. The IM gasket was all corroded which of course in retrospect is consistent other cooling probs (repl rad core and htr core)...lesson here, to change coolant every 30K and use a good corrison inhibitor additive. Fortunately not the head gasket. Head gasket repl $1500-2000 depending on the condition of the heads.

BAD NEWS:

$500

TAKE AWAY:

Don't neglect to maintain the cooling system along with other regular maintenance.

Thanks again Mark and to all others that contributed.

Mick

Reply to
mick