89 air cond switch

I have a 89 C1500 and the air cond has no air recirculation button on the dash. I think it switches automatically from outside air to recirculate. I noticed on the 92 C1500 it has an air recirculation button on the dash and looks the same except for the air recirculation button. Question is can you install the newer switch and get everything to work and if so how many other things need to be changed to make this possible?

Reply to
scottfarkus

Doesn't the control have a setting for MAX air and another setting for "NORMAL or Just AC? MAX is the recirc setting.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

No Max or Recirc... just AC and OFF...

Reply to
scottfarkus

Hmm, sounds like it might be an aftermarket unit. Some of them look close to factory but not quite. I don't think Chevy has built an AC unit that did not have a recirc setting since the 60's. Is your auto temp control? If so, that might not give you manual control.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

My Dad's 90 GMC Sierra is the same way. No max setting. Just A/C on and off. It came this way from the factory.

Bob

Reply to
Bob M

Its not aftermarket as Bob stated, it came from the factory that way... I do know the trucks history and it never has been replaced...

Reply to
scottfarkus

Maybe it was controlled by the full COLD setting at of the temp control. It's possible that setting that all the way to cold put it on recirc. You'd be able to tell from the sound of the fan. I know GM used to have a vacuum switch at the full COLD temp position that shut off the hot water flow to the heater core. But they also had a recirc position too on the car I had that was like that (69 Pontiac).

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

"max" air is re-circ.

Reply to
Steve Barker

If no "max" setting, then moving the temp control all the way to cold will re-circ. Sounds like a dealer added A/C to me.

Reply to
Steve Barker

re-circ. Sounds like a dealer added A/C to me.

------

No no... thats the way they came until 93-94. I'm not sure if the trucks have rec. air... AC units have the electronic control pannel, where as the non ac units use the old tryed and true cable pullys. Im not sure, but i think temp control set to full cold puts the system into rec. air mode.

HDS

Reply to
HDS

re-circ. Sounds like a dealer added A/C to me.

Easy enough to test. If it goes into recirc you'll here the extra noise from the fan.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

re-circ. Sounds like a dealer added A/C to me.

Putting the setting to full cold, there is no change in the fan at all. My Dad's 90 Sierra came from the factory without a Max or Rec setting. Now my friend's 94 Silverado did have a Max setting. My Dad's unit is not an add in. The truck was purchased in Texas and came from the factory the way it is.

Bob

Reply to
Bob M

All I can say is my 87 chevy truck had and my 91 chevy truck has a max air setting, and that straddles your dad's truck production date.. Both of these are Tahoe editions, both manual air, not climate control. Controls are verticle on the right side of the dash. The 93 Aastro van I drove at my last employer was the same way. So dwas my mom's 90 Corsica. and the 88 Celebrity wagon it replaced. Just because you bought the truck new from a dealer does not mean it does not have dealer add on air. Especially in Texas.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

re-circ. Sounds like a dealer added A/C to me.

Any chance of a picture of the control head? I'm sure you are correct, it's just hard to believe GM cheaped out to the point were they actually didn't even include a recirc setting. How do you know it is a factory AC? Was it purchased new with window sticker? I don't know if it still happens but quite a few years ago dealers often made extra profit by ordering vehicles, esp trucks, without AC and then adding it themselves.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

It's obvious now, that it was definitely a dealer add on.

Reply to
Steve Barker

re-circ. Sounds like a dealer added A/C to me.

Yes it was purchased new with a window sticker that listed the factory A/C on the sticker. What do you mean by control head? I can take a picture of the dash and the control knobs but I'm not going to take his dash apart.

Bob

Reply to
Bob M

Well guys I know what's in the truck and how it was purchased. We will just have to agree to disagree. I know for a fact the window sticker on the truck when new listed factory A/C. And there is no Max setting on the knob nor does the fan speed change when placed on full Cold.

Bob

Reply to
Bob M

my ac is NOT add-on... its factory...

also I just found this in the factory owners manual...

AIR CONDITIONING BUTTON To turn on the air conditioner, press the A/C button. The A/C symbol will light in the VF display and the air will be discharged from the dashboard vents with the fan in "LO" position. The system will automatically determine if it needs recirculated or outside air.........

now back to my original post...