How to change outside temp reading from Celcius to Fahrenheit 2001 Volkswagen Golf GTI VR6???

OK this car used to show the outside temperature in the dash in Fahrenheit, but after some a/c work it shows it in Celcius now.

How to set it back to Fahrenheit? I believe it must be easy but have searched the internet and found little to nothing. I have not messed around with it nor looked around with my vag-com tool. I will assume that it is in the a/c controls but figured someone can give a quick informative answer so I don't have to flounder around.

TIA, One out of many daves

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

On our Volvo, that is done via the clock re-set button. Hold it in long enough and it switches F to C. Twist one way for Hours, the other for Seconds. Hold again, it will go from 12-hour to 24-hour time.

Might be the same?

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Thanks Peter, I was hoping that it was that easy to do. When I get a chance I will play with different knobs/switches.

During my research.............I believe on some Audi Climate Controls, I can do this......... 'To changing degree temperature display, press and hold the recirculation button. Then press the temperature up ("+") button to switch between degrees Celsius & Fahrenheit on the climate control temperature and instrument panel outside temperature displays.'

On some VWs 'VW Climatronic Readouts

  1. Hold down "ECON", and press the "up-vent" button (next to recirculation). Both temperature displays will read 00 or 00'0, and you can release the buttons once they do.
  2. Twist the LEFT temperature knob until the display above reads 19'0.
  3. Twist the FAN knob until the left temperature display reads 19'1 (like
19.1).
  1. The right temperature display is now a digital speedometer! HOW COOL IS THAT!!!

--- For tach (in x100), twist the FAN knob until the left temperature display reads 19'3 (like 19.3)

--- To reset and go back to normal operation, hit the ECON button once. These are the different settings the Climatronic can display. '

and there are more instructions, but I am not sure if this '01 Golf GTi can do this.

On a learning mode now! lol

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Fahrenheit,

I found 2 possibles:

2006 GTI: to toggle between reading F and C, "hold down the auto and econ buttons at the same time."

Passat: "Press and hold the recirculation button. Then press the temperature up ("+") button to switch between degrees Celsius & Fahrenheit on the Climate Control Temperature and Instrument Panel Outside Temperature displays."

nf

Reply to
nutso fasst

Why not just use Celsius like the rest if the world? (GRIN)

Stuart in Canada

Reply to
Stuart H.

Uhhh cause some are too lazy to convert it over to Fahrenheit! lol Geez next you'll want us to use Metric tools repairing cars too! OOPS we already do!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

BIG THANKS nutso fasst. That is what I was looking for exactly, I hope! Now I need to try this on this '01 car and make sure I can do it. ;-)

I will report back when I find out.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

That could be dangerous. Temps here reach 119 degrees. If you told folks it was 48 degrees, they'd put on their winter coats and die of heat stroke.

nf

Reply to
nutso fasst

Maybe, but -40 is still -40.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

And the winner is!!!!

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

If that did not do it, tell us what model and year you have?

Reply to
jmeehan

For human comfort levels, Farenheit is more incremental/decremental in terms of degrees given a temperature variation, not changing a degree within Celsius. Thus giving the human a better idea of comfort externally, degree for degree, using Farenheit vs. Celsius. Bad idea using Celsius for that purpose.

Metric vs. standard regarding tool sizes, nuts, and bolts is an entirely different argument. Don't mix apples and oranges regarding "the rest of the world".

Reply to
Dioclese

What no :-) or GRINs? A lot of us are just having some fun too while discussing the Subject matter! ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

My sentiments exactly. Better for everyone to standardize on decaCelsius. 'Comfort zone' temperature would then be 222 degrees ("Nice day, eh? A perfect triple deuce!")

nf

Reply to
nutso fasst

REPORTING BACK: Finally got this car in today, and it was simple........

thanks again nutso fasst! ;-)

Reply to
One out of many daves

It might require a VAGCOM. Is there any reference in your owner's manual?

Reply to
jmeehan

OK I took the time to check my book. For my 2002.5 NB TDI you - Turn on the engine, hold both buttons down for 3 or more seconds and it will switch-.

Good Luck

Reply to
jmeehan

Thanks the problem was solved!

wrote

snip

OK I took the time to check my book. For my 2002.5 NB TDI you - Turn on the engine, hold both buttons down for 3 or more seconds and it will switch-.

Good Luck

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to