89 c1500 fuel filter location?

Stupid questions: Where is the fuel filter on a 89 c1500 305 auto? how often should it be changed? what is involved in changing it (how do i remove pressure from the line)? Thanks Steve

Reply to
BIGSteve

Answers (and No, they are not stupid questions): 1. Attached to the inside of the frame rail under the driver's door. It's about the size and shape of an ordinary soup can with an inlet on one end and an outlet on the other attached to the fuel line. The fittings can be turned with standard hex wrenches.

  1. I change my fuel filters every 15,000 miles. Your mileage may vary.
  2. To remove pressure from the system, simply remove the fuel filler cap. You will need two wrenches (I forget the proper sizes), one for the fitting on the fuel line, one for the fitting on the filter inlet and outlet. Remember to use both wrenches or you could twist and bend the fuel line. The filter itself is held to the frame rail with a plastic ring that you can open with a flat-blade screwdriver. Be prepared with a catch pan because some fuel will come out, and the filter will be full of fuel when you drop it down. It can be a little messy, but it is very easy. Do it once and you won't have any problems doing it again.

Oh yeah, don't smoke.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race