2000 tahoe brakes

I have to do the brakes on my 2000 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 l. Question is what would you recommend for pads semi-metallic vs. ceramic. what brand also rotor my have to be replaced same question on type and brand. I do mostly city with some highway driving and I'm not light on the gas pedal either. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to watch out for do's and don't.

Reply to
G.W.

The stock rotor is fine. for pads I like the AC Delco DuraStop pads which are ceramic. They stop good, are quite, dont seem to tear the rotors up. Dont shove the pistons back in the calipers with out opening the bleeder screws first. Doing so can mess up the antilock system. I like to empty the master cylinder wipe it clean,. fresh fill it and then gravity bleed the brakes till clean fluid comes out after replacing the brake pads. Recommended replacement of brake fluid is 24,000 miles or 24 months. Good time to flush out the power steering fluid too. if the diffs haven't been serviced this is a good time to drain and refill as well.

Whitelightning.

Reply to
Whitelightning

Whitelightning....are you a technician, or a mechanic? Where did you come up with that statement? I've been doing brake jobs on ABS equipped vehicles since they came out with modern ABS. I've never had a problem "messing" up the antilock system and I've never opened bleeder screws while retracting pistons on calipers. I've also never seen one instance of this problem occuring in any dealership that I've worked in....never...not once...and that includes all the other mechs/techs that I've worked with. It's an urban myth....and I'd challenge you to find anywhere in the GM manuals where it mentions this procedure or has a warning about it. I haven't found it yet, and I've looked...so if you find it....I'd change my ways.

Oh, and don't quote some "automotive doctor" on the internet, like others have. What they say means nothing to me You know....it's an "intuitive" thing, eh.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai