90 Suburban AC removal

I have a 90 2500 RWD Suburban with a 5.7L engine. The AC compressor is grinding even when it is off. As I live in Alaska, I really don't need AC and don't want to pay for repair. What is involved in removing the compressor? I'm assuming there is some kind of pulley that replaces it, but what is it called (so I can order it)? Is there anything else I need to do other than replace the compressor with the pulley, pull the fuse, and a new serpentine belt?

Reply to
Jackal24

Is it a serpentine belt? If not, just remove the v-belt that drives it. If it is, you should only need to get a serpentine belt for your vehicle without AC from your local parts store.

Reply to
Shades

It is a serpentine belt, but in the belt routing diagram inside the hood, it shows that without AC it still goes around a pulley or something in the place where the compressor is now.

"Shades" wrote in news:G9CdnYZTZ snipped-for-privacy@rapidnet.com:

Reply to
Jackal24

Sounds like time to hit the salvage yards. I suggest finding a replacement AC pump, otherwise try to find an unoptioned Suburban up to '91 with the serpentine system and get the pulley set-up.

Reply to
Shades

Thats what I figured. The problem with getting a replacement pump is that I would have to deal with the freon which is impossible to get these days.

"Shades" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@rapidnet.com:

Reply to
Jackal24

Go with Freeze12...It is a DIRECT replacement for R12, is readily available(at least here), very low priced and works better than R12 or 134A. Just have to flush the system and refill with Freeze12 oil and Freeze12 itself. Do some checking, you should(hopefully) be able to get it.

Reply to
Shades

Reply to
Merlin

about a week or so ago someone was in the same boat, and one of the members found a bolt on idler pulley to go in place of the Ac compressor. Perhaps the finder will post the info again. Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

The grinding could be coming from the compressor clutch bearing assembly. You could try and replace just that part. The bearings are probably shot in the pulley. I would try calling a Chevy dealer and ask them if there is a pulley that will fit in place of the AC. You may have to ask them to look up the part on a non AC model of your vehicle. They can look up it up and give you a price and part number of the part you need.

If they can not supply, you may want to go to an auto parts store and see if they can sell you an idler pulley in the same diameter as the compressor pulley and same pattern of groves on your belt. You will need a bolt, spacer, washer, nut and possibly a bracket to mount it.

You can also try here

They show a serpentine belt for your vehicle without AC.

Sarge

Reply to
Sarge

Didn't even think about that.