2000 Mazda Protege ES: Might need air conditioner clutch. Remove AC instead

Crap!

My 2000 Mazda Protege ES makes a rattling sound when the AC comes on. Took a look and the pulley has wobble to it.

Bottom line I'm gonna need either a new AC compressor/clutch ...or just take the whole damn unit out and live without AC.

I need advice on this. What could I expect to spend to "fix" the problem?

And...second option.... how feasible is it to just take the AC stuff OUT?

Reply to
me

Looks like the Auto Parts store I work at only lists the compressor with clutch. In that case you will also need to purchase a new drier & orifice tube, and have your system flushed for the compressor warranty to be valid, and have paperwork showing the work done.

Reply to
m6onz5a

Hmm looks like if you have the 1.6 motor you can just purchase a belt without a/c and put that on, but if you have the 1.8 motor it's not listing a belt without a/c. You can see if you can route it without the compressor, but you might need to purchase a a/c bypass pulley (I'm assuming one is made for your car).

Reply to
m6onz5a

oops forgot to add that info.... I have the 1.8 liter

Reply to
me

yep what I was afraid of..... sigh

what you think a rough estimate of cost will be to have it all done?

Reply to
me

Well, according to the labor rate on my works computer it's:

2.5 Hours to replace the compressor 2.3 hours to replace the expansion valve 1.7 hours to replace the Drier 1.5 hours to flush the system + flush

so 8 hours total labor times whatever your local labor rate is.. That doesn't include flushing the system, or the prices of the parts/freon etc. The only part my company has is the drier for $18.. I don't have prices on the other parts.

Reply to
m6onz5a