91 Chevy TBI, need suggestions for performance/ fuel mileage

Hey guys I need some suggestions from some of you, to take the learning curve out of this project for me. I currently have a 1991 chevy truck with a 350 automatic in it, that I have had since new and am still very in love with. It is now time to rebuild the motor after 300,000 miles... This will be my first complete rebuild project and need some advice on improving the performance and fuel mileage. I have been shoping for parts on ebay and am very confused on all the options I have available considering the parts will pieced from diffrent sellers.

  1. Would a roller cam conversion be beneficial to me since this truck typically won't be turning high rpms. Been told that I can put a lt1 cam in; I assume that I will need to put roller lifters in?

  1. On a conversion does a roller cam and roller lifters suffice or does this require additional parts push rods etc...

  2. Roller rockers? Rocker ratios? 1.5, 1.6 any recomendations to prevent clearance issues between valves and pistons?

  1. If I install vortec heads with a vortec / tbi / egr conversion intake will I need any additional parts to make this work? diffrent headers? any valve train parts?

  2. Would I be better buying a lt1 engine out or a salvage yard and putting in this truck? I've heard this is not a bad conversion? that all I need is lt1 wiring harness and computer, torque converter, swap headers and bypass the antitheft system...

lots of options, hope you guys can share your experience with me

Thanks for your help

Reply to
alex355

I have a 89 4x4 burg that i have had since new with 175k on it now, It will get 18 to 19mpg on highway consistently still. The trick with it is I run timing at 8 BTDC and I use premium fuel. TO seriously boost MPG you need to raise engine efficiency and there is only so much you can do with 87 octane fuel in a modern engine. You want to raise CR to at least

10 to 1 and keep cam mild and use good gas to get maximum efficiency from engine and with this come good power too.
Reply to
TheSnoMan

learning

sellers.

Big question is, How do you use this truck. If you use it as a truck then you want to boost low end torque. If you use it as a car and never haul anything then you could drop in the LT1 and get more HP but don't expect any mpg increase.

Also DON'T buy the parts off EBAY. Buy them from a local shop, better service and less hassle when you have questions. Plus the local shop can provide suggestions as to which parts work well together and which don't. Just tossing parts together WILL get you an engine that may run but will probably run like crap. Happens all the time.

As to my suggestion, I would buy a 383 kit from a good company and install it. Roller cam is an OK idea if there is one that will work with the parts you have. Roller rockers are a waste of money for the street.

Keep in mind that EVERY change has to be accounted for with the computer.

Reply to
Steve W.

Thanks for the input on the timing and compression all the options are just so overwhelming. I finally found a great article on retro fitting roller cams at

alex355

Would also consider wether or not you have to pass an emmisions test or not.

Reply to
Sigwings

Keep it simple. Your eng.block is already machined for a roller cam.You can buy a complete roller cam kit from comp cams.Get a cam slightly larger than stock. Add a set of GM Vortec cyl. heads,& Vortec intake manafold for TBI .Also add an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to TBI unit.You will need more fuel pressure than stock.Set ign.timing to 8 Deg.BTDC, & use 89 octaine fuel.It really depends on how much you want to spend.You can add roller rockers,but you than have to buy larger valve covers for clearance.You can add headers but don`t. You need the hot air tube to the air cleaner housing to keep intake manafold from iceing in cold weather.If you want you also can buy a ported TBI base that has a larger CFM rating. & a hot chip for the computer.Get on EBAY & tipe in serch TBI. Good luck.

Reply to
jsc157