93 350 no-start

Working on a 93 K1500 Suburban (350). I have a no-start condition. Have run compression test, over-hauled the distributor, new plugs, cap, and rotor. Installed new fuel pump, and pcm. Engine will only start after distributor is advanced at least 18 degrees. Have pulled timing gear cover and verified engine is in-time and no excessive timing chain slack. Also verified balancer has not slipped. Engine is a GM-Target, about 1 1/2 years old. Anyone seen anything like this before? I am really stumped with this one. Have called GM tech assistance center twice today. No one seems to have any real good answers. Feed back is appreciated.

Reply to
dieselmech32

spark is good. fuel flow is good. new filter and pump assy. all new gm parts. pulled front cover and verified timing components line up. i am ready to buy this one so i don't have to work on it anymore.

Reply to
dieselmech32

When you had the front cover off, with the cam gear mark at 6 o'clock and the crank gear mark at 12 o'clock, where was the rotor pointing to (which cylinders terminal on the dist. cap)?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

pointing between number 6 and 5

Reply to
dieselmech32

It should be pointing at #6 (or slightly ahead).

You either have the wrong distributor or the roll pin has sheared in the drive gear throwing the phasing off, or, the keyway on the cam/gear(s) etc, are machined in the wrong place.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

One other thing...

I've seen this a few times where the base plate on these distributors (the part that the module screws down to) has been twisted on the shaft housing, I believe it comes from people attempting to adjust the ignition timing without loosening the hold down bolt, they jam a prybar against the base plate and try to force the housing. Check that the rotor tip points to a cap contact when the pole piece core is aligned with the magnet points (like this >

Reply to
aarcuda69062