Easy way to verify timing belt failure

95 Toyota Camry XLE 4 cyl auto 105,000mi.
timing belt has never been changed I know it is past due.
This morning the car cranks fine but fails to start. Luckily it is in
my driveway.
Is there an easy way to verify that the problem is the timing belt?
A belt relacement is too big of a job for me so I will need a tow.
Before I do that, I want to verify that it is indeed the belt. What is the easiest way for a low level backyard mechanic like myself to do that?
thanks Mark

It will sound like it's cranking faster than usual. I guess you could pull a spark plug and try and feel for compression. Of course, you could always pull the cover and see what's not going on in there. jor
Mark wrote:

If your no start condition started suddenly, it could be a broken belt or a belt with the teeth sheared off in a spot. If the belt is worn, not broken / damaged, it will probably start and run, perhaps badly though. It probably is not but, I'm not sure if your motor is a "crasher" motor that will damage the valve train if not in the correct position to not interfere with the pistons when you either try to start it or if it broke while running. If it is, you've probably damaged it already. Check for compression, or remove the valve cover to verify valve train movement. An easy way to check basic compression is to hold your hand over the end of the tail pipe while another person engages the starter to turn the motor over. You should feel pulsating air pressure. If you do need a belt Mark, check around for pricing, and I would strongly suggest that a Toyota dealership do the job. Guaranteed work, OEM parts, and I've noticed that sometimes they will offer a coupon for timing belt replacement at a substantially reduced rate. This is a very common repair and they do this all the time, go with experience. IMHO.

Take the belt cover off the front of the engine & see if there is still a belt there.
I.

Thanks for the ideas.. there IS air pressure at the tail pipe when cranking and I appear to have no spark...
So I'll be looking for an ignition problem instead...
and I probably can handle that myself...
I had always heard that when the timing belt goes, the engine cranks really fast and easy and it didn't seem to be any different then normal, so looks like not a timing belt after all..
thanks again I'll let you know what it was when I get er done...
Mark

When is timing belt replacement due for your vehicle?
You may also check for fuel pump failure. On my Dad's Sentra, it failed with only 70K miles
On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 23:01:12 +0000, EdV wrote:

But...that's a Nissan!
I'm surprised there's still no repsonse to my last question? Well, as a service to the readers of this newsgroup (especially the newcomers), I'd like to remind them that Hachiroku is a convict (a convicted criminal).
We still don't know the true nature of his crime--he likes to pretend it was software related, yet he spent a full year-and-a-half in prison--not jail but prison.
Please keep that in mind when you may decide to follow his advice.
One can never be too cautious.

BW, you seem awfully interested in child molesters (and doing a lot of research into members' posts on the subject, and awfully interested in Hachiroku's alleged time in the Greybar Hotel. Even if this were true, what possible interest can this be to you? And since when is a "convicted criminal" 's advice not to be trusted because he once served some time? I find Ray O's advice (and his vast experience) to be stirling...and it wouldn't matter to me a whole lot if he had been convicted of being an axe murderer. It's still the best advice around. I'll bet you've seen Clark Gable in many movies (or at least one, Gone with the Wind.) Would it make a great deal of difference to you that he was once guilty of running down and killing a pedestrian while drunk? Would you boycott his pictures?

<snipped>
Thanks for the vote of confidence!
FYI, I've never murdered an axe ;-)
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
Ray O wrote:

======= Yep, Ray knows his stuff. And he's a good man.

Thank you too!
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
Mack is a great guy and a smart Jew, but his emotions tend to be volatile. He could take a hint from the great Jewish actor Leonard Nimoy ("Mr. Spock"), and try to remain more logical :-)
Nimoy, by the way, along with Nichelle Nichols ("Uhura") and Nurse Christine Chapel were the only true heteros in that cast :-)
Almost all the rest, including "Captain Kirk"/William Shatner (another great Jewish actor) were Nominal Heteros. They married the opposite sex but were still attracted to the same sex ;-)
Built_Well wrote:

======= By the way, when I say that Star Trek actors Shatner (Kirk), DeForest Kelly (Bones), James Doohan (Scotty), and Chekhov were Nominal Heteros, I'm not saying that in a disparaging manner at all. I'm saying it in a non-judgemental scientific manner. I respect Nominal Heteros as much as I do True Heteros.
I'm just making some effort to teach my fellow True Heteros the distinction between True Heteros, Nominal Heteros, and Out Gays. This gives my fellow Heteros better decision-making abilities.
Nothing acrimonious or negative is intended when I refer to some folks as Nominal Heteros. It simply means they're attracted to the same sex while dating or being married to the opposite sex. Very scientific. Not at all judgemental. And, of course, it describes reality. There's no need to disguise reality, or be angered at someone who describes reality :-)
But I guess folks were angry at all the great scientists from Copernicus, Newton, Galileo, Kinsey, Darwin, etc. They were called heretics by others in society, but, of course, today we revere them for teaching us great truths.
Anyway, back to our topic of Toyotas.
On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 07:45:41 -0500, Built_Well wrote:

I've made no effort to keep it a secret.

You like to pretend you actually know something.

Go pound sand up your ass?

Yeah, true. I'm going to reach through the Internet and throttle you to within an inch of your life.
Hachiroku wrote:

======= Is that right? This guy's too funny.
On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 20:02:20 -0500, Built_Well wrote:

And you're a friggin riot.
Remember: One can never be too cautious...
Built_Well wrote:

So what?
This has nothing to do with cars.
or, as I say to nasty people who behave like idiots: *PLONK*

I'm the Op I'll tell you what, you can have this thread, I'll start another one.
By the way the car is fixed. The distributor turned, the timing belt was good, there was no spark, no check engine light, the AM2 fuse was blow, replaced it, it blew immediatly, Googled around, found the most likely cause for an AM2 fuse to blow is a shorted suppression cap on the feed to the coil, removed the 2 pin connector to the distributor that feeds the coil, put in a new fuse, fuse did not blow, verified cap was sgorted, removed distributor, installed a new cap, everything is fine..
thanks to the guys that helped.
Mark