93 C1500 1/2 ton brake line wrench size

I have a 93 C1500 ,1/2 ton, 4.3 liter, automatic, 2WD, regular cab, full size bed Chevy. The metal brake line was rusty and blew out. I am trying to replace the line from the first joint below the master cylinder to the differential. Flare fittings are really tight and last one connecting to the rear flex hose is rusted solid. ( Have been soaking them with PB Blaster). I have to cut the connection at the rear flex hose and replace it along with the metal line. I need to know what size flare wrench to use on the fittings at the differentail. A 9/16 inch wrench has a sloppy fit and I don't want to round them off or otherwise mess them up as the lines to the wheel cylinders are ok. Is this the right size or do I need to get another wrench?

Thanks,Larry

Tried to check at several parts stores but the ones I could contact did'nt know.

Reply to
Larry

Larry,

IIRC 9/16 is the correct size. It's likely just rusted away to just under that size! Try a metric 12 open-ended wrench (you don't need a line wrench if you're just trying to get the damn thing to bust loose) or the next smaller size SAE wrench.

If that doesn't work, a pair of vice grips set REALLY tight so as to not round it off might do the trick.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Thanks for the reply. Didn't get it until downloading groups late this morning. I had already started using vise grips as none of my other wrenches would fit. Have removed all metal line back to the differential and replaced rear flex hose. Getting new line tomorrow so I should have it back together by Thursday. It's taking me a little bit of time (counting stand up breaks) since I am working on the grass without stands and the gas tank is full and still mounted. I'm skinny so I have a little room to work. At least it's not as cold as Christmas morning 2001 when I was changing a starter outside with -15 to -20 degrees wind chill.

Thanks again, Larry

Reply to
Larry

How about pads & calipers in 20*F (12 below freezing) with -30*F wind chill? Oh ya, did I mention that I ended up having to torch out one of my lug nuts/wheels studs? And that I had the flu bad? Love working on my truck! I'd do it again!

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

installing a lower-radiator-hose engine heater at 10 F with a NW wind at

30...............

jeez.......................I was younger and stupider then

Reply to
TranSurgeon

How about power steering pump in -15* weather during a blizzard with only a

12V trouble light? 2 feet of snow fell in the time it took me to R&R. Wife was bringing me Crown Royal out to keep me "warm." Probably wouldn't have taken so long if I didn't get so warmed up.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Larry, I feel your pain. I just got done dropping the tank and replacing the fuel pump, sender and all the lines up to the motor on my '93 C1500 due to rust.

I'm going to need to replace all the brake line from the master cylinder back, flex hose, and both wheel cylinders. Not going to be fun. I definately will not run the line in the frame rail like factory. Pain in the ass to get to!

-Tony

Reply to
Tony Kimmell

I've done that job, but not in that cold. Unless the rubber acts highly different in the cold, I'd rather do that then slowly torch out a bolt/stud with a propane/oxy torch!

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

That's a good one, though I have never done a R&R on a steering pump so I wouldn't know how tough that normally is.

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

Here's a good one. Changing 90 gmc sierra windshield wiper switch assembly regardless of the weather :(

Reply to
Battleax

I'm trying to think why this one would be hard or uncomfortable.....? Perhaps you haven't done many of them? At least with this one you could keep yourself warm while doing the job.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

You should have replaced those rusty brake lines while you had the tank dropped. It would have been a fairly easy job (except for the mosquitos that suddenly showed up this week) if my gas tank had not been in the way. I got the last line section connected and the brakes bled today. GMC Gremlin said previously that he loves working on his truck. If he lived close enough maybe you or I could get him to love working on ours!

Good luck on getting yours done, Larry

Reply to
Larry

I've never been a big fan of steering column work, just seemed like so many layers to go through, such strange engineering. I'm much happier working on Honda V4 mtcl engines.

Reply to
Battleax

Gimme $$$

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

You are directing your anger at the wrong source. The dealerships are not the ones that are supplying high priced parts, the manufacturer is.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai