Re: brake line nut flare wrench??

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 03:20:45 -0600, Ant ran around screaming and yelling:

What the hell is a "brake line nut flare wrench"?? Do I still need one? >Any suggestions on how to remove those round nuts?

it is the equivelent of a "box end" wrench that is missing just enough of the outer "box" to slip the line through...that way it grips all sides of the nut instead of just two sides, like the "open" end wrench...what you need now is a good set of visegrips....or a small pair of pipe pliers... J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 03:20:45 -0600, Ant wrote: ...just a note. DO NOT waste your money on a cheap line wrench....it will round off lines as quick or quicker than an open end...in fact a high quality tight fitting open wrench (the type you think is the wrong size at first cause it fits so snug) will oputperform a cheap line wrench time and time again. Also a little judicious heat can go a long ways in loosening things up...espoecially when combined withj PB blaster...or parafin wax ... it can sometimes crisp up the rubber lines a little...but you *were* planning on replacing those anyways. =-))

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Sorry to hear about your nuts getting rounded! I'll bet THAT hurt, but I do suspect that even if you used a "brake line nut flare wrench" on them that they would hurt. Something inflatable might be less brutal and maybe even more pleasurable... ;) (sorry, couldn't resist the humor)

KWW

Reply to
KWW

You will find an 11mm line wrench may be too loose to fit tightly. I recommend a 7/16" line wrench which should fit tighter. here is a picture of them, but you can find them at Sears and other stores.

I have broken line wrenches, so buy good ones! Yes PB Blaster and or heatusually helps. Trust how the wrench feels on the line nut, if if feels like itwill slip it probably will. ;-) later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

On 23 Sep 2003 11:07:39 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comANTISPAM (dave) ran around screaming and yelling:

great tip Dave!! thanks J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

"dave" wrote

That's interesting that the 7/16" fits tighter than the 11mm, since 11mm (0.4331") is less than 7/16" (0.4375"). I guess maybe they are toleranced differently?

Thanks for the tip.

Reply to
Scott H.

hmmm, I see your point Scott, so I will have to check out the true sizes of my 11mm wrench and my 7/16" wrench. Maybe I have a sloppy 11mm wrench. :-) thanks, dave later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

yeah but what is funny is that I NEVER use the 11mm, so it must be a defect.

8^) I might take it back to Sears one day, I think it is a Craftsman wrench. I usually buy a few 7/16" to have a spare or two. I have been known to break them so I guess that I could bend them too! lol

dave