94 truck timing chain

My 94 Chevy truck, 350 cid, has developed a rough idle, rich exhaust condition, loss of power, spark knock hot or cold engine (even when motor is first started up in the morning). It started last week without warning. I'm assuming timing chain is ready to jump. Should I get a set of gears that let me advance the cam 4 degrees ? It has 227k on all original parts, yes the O2 sensor too. I have a replacement O2 sensor , I'm putting it in Saturday. I have done a major tune up (plugs, cap, rotor, wires, fuel filter, air filter, oil and filter). It is throwing a check engine code 32. I know that code 32 has something to do with the EGR solenoid and it has been replaced and code cleared, but it comes back.

Reply to
jdpolk

I had a 350 with a loose chain once, you could hear it at idle tapping the timing cover. I don't know what benefit advancing the cam 4 degrees would be but I sure wouldnt wait until it jumps and screws your motor to death.

Reply to
Scott

Fast easy check for slop if it has a distributor, pop the distrib cap off, put a socket and breaker bar on the crank pulley and gently turn it back and forth. If your moving the crank and the rotor is lagging its time to replace.. 227K, just get a good stock chain and gears, if you want to go fancy, double roller if it doesn't already have them. Cloyes is a good brand, but Cloyes has a cheap set and good set, the good set is C-3059K, if you have a factory roller cam, then the 9-1145 You can view Cloyes products and a performance catalog at

. GM performancehas a real good set as well, , but they are pricey. Dynagear is cheap junk. Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning