96 chev died

123 k on truck, 4.3 liter, all recommended maint done at the proper miles, driving on the interstate yesterday at about 70 mph truck lost all power. As long as I feathered the gas it would barely run. Made it to the off ramp where it stalled. It would not restart. I changed the fuel filter thinking it was plugged. It was not. Any ideas? I was thinking of the fuel pump. No warning lights on dash came on during this.

Thoughts,

TIA

GM

Reply to
GM

It is most likely the fuel pump.

Reply to
jsc157

GM

When you turn key on can you hear the fuel pump run sounds like a whirring sound? I f this don't hear anything you probably have a bad fuel pump. Also check relay in the fuse box under hood. I believe there is a fuse and a relay in there. I if it is fuel pump and you are going to chg it yourself try to disconnect fuel lines from up from fuel tank. trying to disconnect them ffrom housinf is difficult and you can break the plastic fittings the are there, I know I broke them on my 97 and it cost me a new pump and housing 297 smackers. If you can get it out with just pump it about $130. Good luck

Reply to
shadetree mx

Thanks for the info from all who replied. It was the fuel pump. replaced it and now it is back up running.

Thanks

Reply to
GM