'96 Tahoe drive train problem

I have a '96 Tahoe that squeaks and jerks every time I stop or start. The dealer tells me that it is a drive shaft lubrication problem, where the drive shaft yoke slides onto the transmission output shaft. After spending $750 of my money, the dealer now tells me they don't know how to fix it. This is supposedly a fairly wide spread problem. Anyone else have this problem? Any one know of any action of recourse?

Reply to
djake11

Is it a squeak/jerk or more like a clunk when you come to a stop and start? The clunk would be what they tried to fix with the nickel-plated yoke they bent you over the barrel for, the squeak/jerk is likely something else that the yoke fix would not have addressed.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

The clunk is probably more descriptive. I was told by the dealer that there was no nickel plated yoke available to fix this problem on this model. The yoke was replaced, but not nickel plated. Replacement didn't help at all.

Reply to
djake11

Check out the Chevy Tahoe page. You might be able to find out some information at that site. It's

Steve

I had the same problem with my '96 Yukon. What ended up working was a special lubricant my friend (a GMC mechanic) said they used to correct the problem at his dealership. It is a PTFE filled, Non melting Hightemp grease, with a GM part number #12345879 gr. 8.800. The part I wonder about is why your dealer didnt know about this and fix it that way.

Best, Phil

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 03:36:43 GMT, "djake11" said while waiving his hands wildly:

]I have a '96 Tahoe that squeaks and jerks every time I stop or start. The ]dealer tells me that it is a drive shaft lubrication problem, where the ]drive shaft yoke slides onto the transmission output shaft. After spending ]$750 of my money, the dealer now tells me they don't know how to fix it. ]This is supposedly a fairly wide spread problem. Anyone else have this ]problem? Any one know of any action of recourse?

Reply to
Phillip

They tried that. They actually tried two different kinds of grease that was specially designed for this problem. In both cases, it lasted less than 2000 miles.

Reply to
djake11

did they 'try that' with a new yoke ?

probably the old one has a 'step' worn in it internally

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Yep, they put in a new yoke. They said the next step would be to replace the output shaft in the transmission (very expensive), but they would not guarantee it to last and recommended against it.

Reply to
djake11