99 suburban door locks

First off this are power locks. My problem is that the passenger side back door only locks well when it feels like it.Some times it will lock when i mash the button and other times it just kinda moves slightly with out locking.Also when i cycle the locks say 4 are 5 times in a row the hole system just kinda losses all locking power and none will do any thing. What could be the problem with this thing?

Reply to
kdm

Similar problem with my '99 Suburban -- both passenger side power locks act up when that side gets warm/hot. All summer long, when truck is parked with that side in the sun, the power locks either don't work at all or the lock activator(?) on the door panel just moves a little. But when that side cools down, the locks operate well. When warm, manually locking/unlocking the doors works fine.

Reply to
Walt

Thanks for posting this question & the ans. Same problem here with a '99 Yukon but only occurred in the middle of the hot summer a few times.

Ken

Reply to
ken

This is a very common problem .. But I guess it hasnt happened enough for gm to do anything about it.......It may seem like it but it has nothing to do with the door getting hot....The Door Lock Actuators are what the problem is...The have a habbit of have a intermitted short in them causing this prob...The only way to fix it is to replace it...Or if your using a remote it may need to be reprogrammed or the battery is running low......These are the only problems Ive came acrossed...Also low voltage could also have an effect .... Steve C

Reply to
Steve Cook

Reply to
kdm75

Sounds 100% like the actuators. I don't have one, I've never seen the problem - but that's what it sounds like. Move it a few times and the short comes back, have to wait for it to work again. Carefully pull the door apart, it's easier'n gettin in a girls pants. You'll want a multimeter, check the wires etc.... lalala. Common Pins (think sewing) will help you check continuity from outside the door to the inside where the wire connections are........ Have fun. Make sure you have time to clean up - it's surprisingly greasy in there. Sometimes I wonder if I don't have a massive engine-oil leak that travels to my door.

Reply to
KJ

Just from experience its more than likely the lock actuator.....I change out at least 4 or 5 a week.....Its not hard but its not easy ...I your really interested i can tell you how to do it Steve C

Reply to
Steve Cook

Thank every for there input. looks like im going to tear into the door and change the actuator. I would be interested if you would be so kind to tell me how to do it Steve.I have never took a door apart and I just kinda like to know what im up against before I start tearing things apart.

Reply to
kdm75

sent you a reply to the email you sent me.. just dont bend the rods.. everything will be fine Steve C.

Reply to
Steve Cook