Adhesive Removal/Body Moulding....HELP PLEASE!

Please help and advise if you can. I just stripped the body mouldings off my

91 Silverado. Now I have adhesive and tape. Wow, what a pain in the arse. I tryed Acetone, Tar and Bug, Bumper Sticker Remover, Paint Thinner, WD 40. They might work if I live to be a hundred. (Pity to my poor wife if I do!)

Any tricks? What do the body shops use.

I would appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks in advance. Boyd McDuffy

Reply to
Boyd McDuffy

Okie

Remove the tape with heat, a heat gun or even try the wifes blow dryer :) Use Goof Off (I think thats what its called) or good ole carb cleaner on the glue(after all the tape is off). I'm sure there are a few other products for removing adhesives as well. It helps to use a razor blade on the glue after you loosen it up. Be VERY carefull with the blade and make sure it is new with no knicks in it. The goop must be like liquid when you use the blade or you will scratch the paint. Just slide the blade along slowly and wipe it off often, the crap will want to stick back on the truck if you dont clean it often. If you have to push hard at all on the blade it is not loosened enough. It can be done with just a rag but it takes alot of time scrubbing the boogers off because they harden up on the rag. You'll see what I mean when you try. :) When your done be sure to put some good wax on it, the paint will be very clean and dry.........

Reply to
Scott M

How about 3M adhesive and decal remover???

Reply to
Steve W.
3M General purpose adhesive cleaner 08984. Works great on tar also. Don't whine about the price, just buy it and try it.
Reply to
Steve Barker

Thanks Steve but I tried the CLEANER 08987 and it didn't work. Did you mean the 3M adhesive REMOVER 08984?? I almost bought that one, 20.00 versus 9.99 for the cleaner.

If that is the one you are referring to and it works, I would be all too happy to pay the price. No wining or anything, honest.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to try to help me.

Reply to
Boyd McDuffy

The body shops use a razor blade

marsh monster ~~takes a hit off the doobie.....and waits fer duh fun to begin~~

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Adhesive Removal/Body Moulding....HELP PLEASE! Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Sat, Oct 18, 2003, 8:26pm (CDT-2) From: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Boyd=A0McDuffy) Please help and advise if you can. I just stripped the body mouldings off my 91 Silverado. Now I have adhesive and tape. Wow, what a pain in the arse. I tryed Acetone, Tar and Bug, Bumper Sticker Remover, Paint Thinner, WD 40. They might work if I live to be a hundred. (Pity to my poor wife if I do!) Any tricks? What do the body shops use. I would appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks in advance. Boyd McDuffy

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Reply to
ronlin

. . He's not working on decals or stripes....

he's working on body-side mouldings that have been on the truck for 13 years...... slowly allowing the adhesives solvents to blend and meld into the paint solvents .

and the only way he's gonna get it ALL off, is with a razor blade.

Scrib Abell ~:~would suggest new body-side mouldings before the truck HAS to be repainted~:~ . . Re: Adhesive Removal/Body Moulding....HELP PLEASE! Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Tue, Oct 21, 2003, 8:43am (CDT+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (What=A0Ever!!!) A spray can of throttle body cleaner,not carb,spray on area and use a razor blade to pull across the glue. Do not scrape. You will see the glue comes off very easy and wont damage paint. Im a truck dealer who removes decals daily. This is the best for removing glue. We also use a tool bought at NAPA that uses rubber wheels to remove any decalr or stipes and removes decal/glue all at once. Wheels are 10 each. Tool about 50. Well worth the money. When your done it looks nice. So,use tb cleaner and your done. Spray on and as it comes off on the blade,wipe of razor. Good luck.This wil work. Gil

Reply to
Scrib Abell

A spray can of throttle body cleaner,not carb,spray on area and use a razor blade to pull across the glue. Do not scrape. You will see the glue comes off very easy and wont damage paint. Im a truck dealer who removes decals daily. This is the best for removing glue. We also use a tool bought at NAPA that uses rubber wheels to remove any decalr or stipes and removes decal/glue all at once. Wheels are 10 each. Tool about 50. Well worth the money. When your done it looks nice. So,use tb cleaner and your done. Spray on and as it comes off on the blade,wipe of razor. Good luck.This wil work. Gil

Reply to
What Ever!!!