A/C Clutch keeps cycling

I have a 1984 S-10, 2.8L with R12 A/C. Having a problem in that the A/C Clutch keeps engaging and disengaging continuously. It will engage for about 1 second, then disengage for about 3-4 seconds, then engage again for about another second. It continues this cycle. Anyone have an ideas as to what could be causing this strange behavior? Any info/thoughts appreciated.

Reply to
cman

if it's cooling at all, it's overcharged and kicking out on excessive pressure

it its not cooling, it's low on R-12 and kicking out on low pressure

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Thank you TranSurgeon. Its not cooling. I appreciate your help. I will have to get it serviced.

Reply to
cman

get the leak fixed and re-charge it with R-134a

make damned sure the person doing it takes into account ambient temperature, and uses gauges + a thermometer at the dash outlets

if they don't, drive away.................getting an R-12 system to work on

134a is not as simple as it looks, it takes a fine balance of 'just enough' vs 'how good does it cool?'

Reply to
TranSurgeon

I bought a kit with Freeze 12 from a guy on ebay and put it in an 87 Bronco 2 that was out of R12. This was 3 years ago and it still work good, I think i paid about $35. This would save you from doing any conversion.

Reply to
Scott

Reply to
cman

Thank for taking the time to reply Scott. I am interested in what you wrote and will check into it. My truck is 1984 but only has

20,000 miles >
Reply to
cman

I agree with TranSurgeon, but I would bypass the system pressure switch first. It could be bad.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo