A/C Freezes up on large line at compressor and drier

Never had this happen before, but yesterday I noticed that while the air from the outlets in the cab was cold it had a very low flow, even on high. I opened the hod and the line connected to the compressor was frozen at the drier portion as well as at the fitting that the line enters the coil on the inside of the cab. Once it thawed out, it worked fine the rest of the day. What causes this.

I had previously had a problem with the low pressure cut off switch, and I replced it and things have worked fine, except for this freeze up. I did add a touch of R134, so could this have caused the freeze up? I added the Freon about 2 or 3 days prior to the freeze up though and before I replaced the LPCO switch. Vehicle is a 97 GMC w/350 Thanks

-- Visit my website:

foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects.Regards Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever. Remove capital A from chipmAkr for correct email address

Reply to
Roy

Usually, on residential AC, freezeups like that are caused by a low refrigerant level. I'm not sure about automotive since it works in conjunction with a low pressure switch, as you mentioned.

CJB

Reply to
CJB