Lift Point for engine removal on 240SX SOHC 1990

I have the motor all ready to remove from the car, however I am not sure where to attach the lift sling to this engine, as there are not the normally supplied lift eyes as on others I have worked on. Where should I attach a sling to lift this engine out.

Also on that universal type spider joint at the rear of the transmissioon (manual trany) I removed three out of the 6 bolts in the coupling joint. I can slide it back and forth but it appears to have a shaft inside this coupling joint yet. Will it slide off when pulled forward during engine removal or do I need to finish taking the other three bolts out yet.

-- Visit my website:

foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects.Regards Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever. Remove capital A from chipmAkr for correct email address

Reply to
Roy Hauer

Roy, my '90 240SX comes with no engine slingers so you'd need to buy them and the bolts from the dealer. I can email the exploded diagram and text from the S/M to show where they mount. I can help you on your second question also there are 2 different driveshaft assys. for this car. Only 1 has a rubber coupling with 4 bolts. S/M says " do not disassemble" . Shows tranny sliding off splined output shaft and tranny leaking lube so have a cap/ can handy. I have the parts ufiche and was not finding the engine slingers at a quick look so if the dealer can't do better I will spend the time. Email me the response and I'll email back the picture files if you need them. CR

Reply to
Cosmic Ray

Cosmic Ray and Delete-ID, I really appreciate all the help you have given. Its been a god send.

I got the motor pulled. I used a hook on the end of a chin to drop down and grab on to the bracket the motor mount is bolted to on the exhaust side and on the other side I just dropped the chain betwen that box and the intake manifold and brought it back up and used a bolt to secure it to the other chains end. Worked and balance just right for removal.

I undone every other bolt in the coupling sectin on the back of the tranny, and it allowed it to seperate, and not loose any gear oil. The only thing I overlooked and broke was some sensor that is in the power steering line on the right side under the lmotor mount, but it was simple to fix the broken wires. I almost forgot the shifter myself. Chiltons manual leaves a lot to be desired. Too much generic info and illustrations are sort of doggy and not very well printed or blurry to me. I just about tossed the book for use except for specs etc.

Motor is removed and most accessories are stripped off and checked, and cleaned up. Pressure washed tranny and engine compartment, cleaned all connectors, and all parts are on hand or will be by tomorrrow except for the motor itself which could be here Thursday or Friday. I had to break down and but a new radiator, as I think the original problems associated with the overheatig was the radiator was probably

80 % clogged. It was a single flue design but have a 2 flue design coming. Price was not bad, 119.00 delivered next day express, 3 year warranty, made by same company that assembles Nissans radiators. NOw all I need really is the motor to get here and give it a good pressure washing before I tear into it to replace the timing chains and seals etc.

Also had to spring for a clutch and pressure plate as the dampener springs n clutch were broken, as were 6 of the fingers on the diaghram of the pressure plate.

I sure hope all of his pays off in having a serviceable car for the youngin. Its costing me a small fortune having him here since his car is being fixed, as he is eating me out of house and home. You know how that goes, a single kid living by himself away from home, and just loves his mothers cooking.......when he is at home!

Got to check out that link on the SX chat list. I am sure i am going to have more questions when it gets to putting this all back together and running.