Coolant Temp Sensor question HELP PLEASE!

Ok, I think I have my problem narrowed down to the coolant temp sensor. I know of two sensors in the coolant itself not counting the temp sending unit. ONe is located in the intake manifold and there is another sensor in the lower radiator hose. Does anyone know what these are and which one is the coolant temp sensor or are they both temp sensors. I get a MAL 13 on the ECU..........

Would a bad temp sensor also account for a lot of gas usage?

Regards

-- Visit my website:

foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects.Regards Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever. Remove capital A from chipmAkr for correct email address

Reply to
Roy Hauer

The one with two leads on the maniflod is the ECU engine temp sensor, this is the sensor that gives a code 13. The one in the hose is for the fan - it switches on when the rad outlet water is too hot.

Peter Hill

I'm not sure about that but a leaky injector or two would certainly account for lots of extra gas usage.

-BD

Reply to
BD

if the ECU thinks the engine is always cold, it will not go into closed loop control and therefore use more gas.

Reply to
okr

Roy, The Engine Coolant Temperature sensor could be one of the reasons for poor gas mileage. ECU uses signal from the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor to feed extra fuel into the intake to warm the engine up when cold - primarily for emissions control.

You might also want to check your Oxygen sensor located on the exhaust manifold piping. Since you are familiar with the

website, just go to the site and click on the FAQ button. The FAQ page lists procedures on how to check the Oxygen sensor. You also might want to do a tune up while you are at it. Swap out the distributor cap & rotor, change the sparkplugs, (NGK's always seem to work best for me), pour a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank, and spray carburator cleaner into the intake throttle body and clean out the electrical contacts leading to the Mass Air Flow Sensor and Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor. The contacts often get dirty with oxidation causing a poor signal to lead to the ECU - lubricating them with di-electric grease tends to help a lot. You might also want to check the stock air filter while you are at it also.

H> Ok, I think I have my problem narrowed down to the coolant temp

Reply to
DELETE-ID

Appreciate it. I just changed the coolant temp sensor out. Just starting it up after seemed like a totally different car.Time will tell. SInce this is my youngins vehicle, I will have to wait until he comes back around my place (currently under orders from headquarters to park it and wallk or get a job and get tires replaced)......You may know how things like that are. I had agreed to see what I could do to get his $500 car running since without a car he could not look for a job.......so its running now, not overheating, and its got about a 1/2 tank of fuel. Before it blew a lot of black smoke etc now it does not, and it actually idles nice and smooth. Next time I will check the O2 sensor though. He put plugs in it, and replaced the wires,(el cheapo stuff, and I know the plugs certainly were not NGK) His so called mechanicallly inclined friends told him all it needed was plugs and wires and it should be ok after a tank or two of premium gas.yea, right. All they were looking for was a ride anyhow...... I think 1/2 of his tank of fuel is fuel injector cleaner though ;-) It should have the cleanest injectors and fuel system found anywhere.

He actually made an attempt to clean his butterfly etc in the intake throttle body.only thing is he used brake cleaner because he did not have any carb or injector cleaner to use at that time.sorry thing is the brake cleaner stated "NON-Flammable forumla.......and he really loaded it up pretty bad.....duh! But it certainly did make it pretty darn clean.

Still wait>x-Roy,

-- Visit my website:

foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects.Regards Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever. Remove capital A from chipmAkr for correct email address

Reply to
Roy Hauer

Never seen a set of Jap leads that actually needed to be replaced unless abused by user. The aftermarket stuff is always of lower spec.

Never used anything other than NGK since the time I bought a Champion and brand new it was worse than the old NGK.

Nephews mate has just acquired a car - dad and uncle are so called mechanics, not too sure of what but as they don't have a timing light between them I assume it must be diesel trucks or bus. Needs the carb setting up, needs new plugs and leads. Nope ten seconds with a timing light - it needs a new vacuum advance unit.

Peter Hill