airbag question

my airbag light caME ON. aND THE DASH SAYS TO SERVICE THE AIRBAG.

Is there a reset somewhere. i already tried shut the key off.

2005 Chevy Silverado, 2WD, manual t, 4.3 1/2 ton, 54,763 miles.

Thanks.

Reply to
DogDiesel

Airbag light means a fault in the system. It will go off when that is fixed as it runs a system test every time the key is turned on. A good scan tool will point to the exact fault. Unlike engine codes the A/B system does actually pinpoint problems. Clock spring, seat occupancy and seat belt sensors usually cause problems. Put the seat all the way forward, then look at the wires right at the bottom of the seat belt anchor on the latch side. I've seen more than a few of those break right at the connector where it flexes during seat motion.

Reply to
Steve W.

My airbag light starting coming on a few months back and after reading countless articles online, I tried everything Steve suggested - I inspected the wires under the seat track and under the dashboard - tried kicking the kickplate trick - nothing worked. In the end it was a bad sensor - one of the two in the front bumper - I ordered it online for like $80-100 and had my mechanic install it - it took him like 5mins to do it. He did confirm for me using his code reader that it was one of the front sensors before I ordered it. I was able to look right through the bumber opening and with a flashlight read the part#. Both sensons in the bumper are the same part# (at least on my '03 Silverado they are...). Good luck.

Reply to
Kevin Klein