Auto Transmission Leaking

I just noticed I have Trans. fluid leaking from my trans. I had the transmission drained and filter replaced 2/15/02. It was not shifting at very low speed properly. Turned out to be a solenoid switch. Anyway, I think the place that worked on was/is very reputable and the leak is not around the fluid pan.

My question is I wonder where else it can be leaking from and is it OK to refill it and drive to my Trans guy. It was so low tonight I could not get it up to 3rd gear..

Thanks in advance for your opinion.

Gary

Reply to
TaylorVA

Possibly a seal. And maybe a new tranny if it has been run w/o fluid.

MD

Reply to
D Phillips

Yeah, if it wasn't shifting into 3rd due to the fluid being so low it's probably fubar. The AT can lose 1 pint of fluid before the level is at the "add" mark on the dipstick and weird shit starts to happen; sounds like it's been leaking for awhile and he didn't notice the ATF skid marks on his driveway.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Fill it up and see if it runs. Damage, if any, is already done so you have nothing to lose. If the leak isn't around the pan it is likely from a seal.

Reply to
D F Bonnett

Reply to
sidewinder

It's really a shame not to check fluids constantly. The leak could be a front pump seal, a rear seal, or even just an o-ring seal where the linkage goes into the case. And maybe it really is just the pan gasket. Not checking these things can be very costly, but profitable for the shop. It's Christmas time for them too, remember.

Reply to
MaxAluminum