blinker is blinking really sloooow

I have an 89 K1500 with a fisher plow and a blinker problem.

If I turn on just the blinker, with no headlights, it works fine and the amp meter on the dash moves down slightly each time the blinker comes on. If I turn the headlights on, the meter drops just a tiny bit, then returns to where it was before the headlights came on. At this point, the blinker slows down slightly and the amp meter continues to move with the blinker, like it was before. Now, if I turn the plow lights on, the meter doesn't drop at all and continues to move exactly as before, but the blinker slows considerably, to like once every second or so.

I don't really know that much about auto mechanics, but here is my take on the situation.

I thought about changing the turn signal flasher, but it seemed like if that was the issue, it would not be effected by the headlights or plow lights...?

Next, I thought that maybe there wasn't enough power getting to the lights and blinkers. If this was the case, however, I would think that the amp meter would have a noticably larger drop when the lights were on.

Then I thought....ok, that is as far as I got, no more ideas. So, I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction. Was I on the right track with one of my theories, or should I be looking somewhere else? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Kevin,

A heavy-duty aftermarket flasher will solve your problems.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

load than normal.......But worth a try for a couple of bucks. I would also check the double filament bulbs for : the running lights filament touching the turn sig filament. It would be very strange for that to happen on both left and right at the same time but stranger things have happened and you didnt say one or the other.....Also check for bad connections, esp. the grounds. If it is both sides, going by your description, I'm betting its just slows because of the voltage drop when you turn all the lights on. Is it better when you rev the truck up a bit? Is it worse if the truck isnt running? Also, look for any lights that arent quite as bright as the others and check their connections and clean the contacts of the bulb and socket.

Reply to
Scott

Never mind, I changed my mind. Your plow doesnt have blinkers too right? I was thinkin of an extra load on the blinkers like a trailer would do. It is probably slowing cause of a voltage drop, but it is real slow because the flasher is junk. Like Doc said, get the $3 flasher, stick it in, then if it doesnt fix it check the other stuff....Oh and make sure you change the right flasher. There is gonna be one for the emerg flashers too. Have fun!

Reply to
Scott

"Kevin" wrote in message news:3f971382 snipped-for-privacy@corp.newsgroups.com...

Something's funky with the wiring. Check the wiring to the headlight, some how they are feeding the turn signals. The blinker (flasher) is a temperature controlled relay. When the turn signal lights go on the flasher heats up then breaks the circuit. When the flasher cools it closes, turning on the turn signal again. This is how you get the blinking (heat-up turn off, cool-down turn on, and so on); this is why, if you connect a trailer to a truck with the stock flasher the lights will blink fast. The higher load, the faster it heats up... If the blink rate slows with the headlights on then you are not drawing as much power from the turn signal circuit. I would check the wiring to make sure both circuits are isolated. They can share the same ground (i.e. grounded to the frame) but they can not share the same power supply or they can not be grounded to each other. They both should go directly to the frame. If you look on the web for the company that made your plow, you may be able to get a copy of the wiring diagram. Just look and make sure the shop that did the instillation wired it correctly and did not do a short cut by connecting circuits that should not be connected. I do think you have power from the headlights feeding back into the turn signal circuit. Maybe they grounded the headlights to the turn signals so when the headlights are on the turn signals are also glowing a little. And when you turn on the turn signals there is already a little power being supplied so it does not draw as much power to blink...

good luck, mark

Reply to
rock_doctor

. run a jumper wire (test lead) from the turn signals to battery negative..see if that don't cure your woes...

nubbs ~:~. . . blinker is blinking really sloooow Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Wed, Oct 22, 2003, 7:29pm (CDT+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@dialmaine.com (Kevin) I have an 89 K1500 with a fisher plow and a blinker problem. If I turn on just the blinker, with no headlights, it works fine and the amp meter on the dash moves down slightly each time the blinker comes on. If I turn the headlights on, the meter drops just a tiny bit, then returns to where it was before the headlights came on. At this point, the blinker slows down slightly and the amp meter continues to move with the blinker, like it was before. Now, if I turn the plow lights on, the meter doesn't drop at all and continues to move exactly as before, but the blinker slows considerably, to like once every second or so. I don't really know that much about auto mechanics, but here is my take on the situation. I thought about changing the turn signal flasher, but it seemed like if that was the issue, it would not be effected by the headlights or plow lights...? Next, I thought that maybe there wasn't enough power getting to the lights and blinkers. If this was the case, however, I would think that the amp meter would have a noticably larger drop when the lights were on. Then I thought....ok, that is as far as I got, no more ideas. So, I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction. Was I on the right track with one of my theories, or should I be looking somewhere else? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Kevin

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Reply to
Bobo

--------------------------- Oh great, now I changed my mind again! :)

Reply to
Scott

Yes, the plow does have directions and as it turns out, only one of them is having this problem. Since both are wire the same way (although, not necessarily correctly since it appears the previous owner was less than competent at this type of stuff) I am fairly certain it is only a grounding problem...

Yes! When the blinker would come on, it looked almost as though the high beam on the plow light was coming on!!..otherwise, the light seemed just a bit dim so I did a little tweaking. On the light that was working fine, there were two grounding wire coming from the headlight connecter and both were wired to rivets that were holding the plowlight housing to the plow frame. On the side that was not working, that metal plate was rusted and I couldn't get a ground anywhere, even after filing the rust away to bare metal. So, I connected the two ground wires to a length of wire and ran it out the back of the light housing and attached it to the plow frame and presto, the headlight got very bright (I almost have full vision restored). However, when I turn the blinker on, it still runs a little slow, but there is no noticable fluctuation in the headlights anymore. Could this perhaps go back to the high resistance that you mentioned earlier? Would runing the two ground wires to two seperate ground points (or used a heavier guage wire) solve this problem?

Reply to
Kevin

Reply to
Bobo