BLOCK HEATER HELP

I need some help here...

I am now on my 5th "bad" block heater and this time dealer is refusing to replace it saying it is not suppose to come on till the outside temp is 0 degrees. ( I am not kidding.... )

They even gave it to me in some bs paperwork from GM...

I told the dealer it is easy for me since this is the 5th time the block heater has gone bad...

1) When I plug it in EVERY night I hear a spark at the extention cord as it is plugged in... Dealer says I am nuts, and I should not hear that at all...

DOES ANYONE ELSE HERE IT SPARK WHEN THEY PLUG IT IN???

2) I told dealer in the morning if I did not hear it spark, the glo plug indiciator on the dashboard will come on for several seconds while it warms them up, and if working it doesnt come on at all...

Dealer told me I am wrong again...

ANYONE ELSE NOTICE THIS ABOUT THE GLO PLUGS WHEN BLOCK HEARTER IS USED?

3) I told the dealer the extension cord in the moring is limp and warm from it "running" current all night and when the block heater quits, cord stays cold and so does motor...

AM I THE ONLY OWNER OF A GMC SEIRRA that the block hearter has ever failed on???

Reply to
TomCat

By the way... In doing some research on this block heater I found a neat little site to lodge a complaint about anything wrong with your vehicles and to research the issues with other verhicle of your make and model...

TomCat

A spark at conection is not bad or unusual. You are "switching in" a 5 amp load and it can spark at time so this is not a problem at all. ALso if block heater is not working, the glow plug lights will be on more often and longer (depending on tempature) You did no mention why you 5 heater failed or what the elements looked like but you may be have a reaction with coolant that is eating up heater until it fails. If this is the case. increase antifreeze level to 70/30 (70% antifreeze) as it will decrease elements reaction with coolant. Also you should never plug in heater when engine is hot as element can overheat and burn out. What I would suggest is that you get a timer that turn heat on 3 to 5 hours before you need truck so that you can plug it in when engine is warm with no power present and not worry about burning out heater in a hot engine.

Reply to
TheSnoMan

Been using block heaters for close to 40 years now. Drive over 30 miles on the highway to get home from work and plug in right away. Never have I had a problem with them burning out.

My 2006 Chevy automagically passes current to the heater when the temp. dips lower than - 15ºC

This winter has been very mild and I have only plugged in once so far. Normally, I wouldn't dare use a timer in case I get called in to work at some wierd hour or someone has to go to the hospital and the timer hasn't kicked in yet. One call-in pays for all the power I will use all winter in the block heater.

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

That is the first factory block heater I have seen with a thermostat. I have never burned one out in 20 years but I have know a few others that have.

Reply to
TheSnoMan

Reply to
Robert Francis

dealer is refusing

the outside temp

5th time the

extention cord

all...

spark, the glo

several seconds while

all...

HEARTER IS USED?

is limp and warm

heater quits,

hearter has ever

"switching in" a 5

problem at all. ALso

be on more

mention why you 5

may be have a

fails. If this is

antifreeze) as it will

never plug in

burn out. What I

to 5 hours

engine is warm with

in a hot engine.

Drive over 30

right away.

when the

once so far.

called in to work

and the timer

I will use

thermostat. I

few others that

Reply to
Boots

Thank you for the responses. I will print them out and give them to the dealer today.

Reply to
TomCat

I'm not sure how this system works or where you are plugging it in, but it sounds like into an outlet on your house?

In any event, if the extension cord is warm and limp, it is an indication that you are loosing a lot of voltage in that cord which is the cause of it warming up. Which means also that your heater is likely undervoltage. You need a beefier extension cord, or one of the same beefage, but much shorter. That will increase the voltage at the heater. The shorter cord will wear out eventually though, I would just go for the beefier one.

Robert Francis wrote:

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

"Beefage", heh, excellent.