C2500 idling long time

I recently got a C2500 Cheyenne 1990 to pull my travel trailer. When it is parked and idling, I hear a noise like something cycling, turning on for a while and then off, and the engine speed changes. This happens regardless of whether the heater or air-conditioner is on. Is this a problem?

I'd like to let it idle for maybe an hour a day, for two reasons. One is that it sits in place for a couple of weeks at a time in a damp climate, and I think it should probably be warmed up by running to prevent mildew etc. (Altho sitting in the damp hasn't bothered my 1989 Chevy Astro van, which I've had for about 5 years.)

The other reason is that when camping or during power outs I'd like to draw electricity out of the truck system to charge the trailer coach batteries.

Mary snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net

Reply to
Mary

Most likely the A/C compressor cycling. Watch the compressor (top-left belt-driven accessory), and see if the clutch is engaging/disengaging at the same time you hear the noise.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Doc, Would that truck have a leveling system? I had a similar problem with a Caddi, but it would cycle even when the car was parked and not running. I had to replace the shocks.

Loyd

Reply to
Blake Loyd

Sitting won't bother it. But running it for short periods of time can cause water accumulation in the exhaust and rust.

That is an expensive charger you are wearing out by letting it idle for long periods. Using it to charge batteries is a very poor idea. The charging system on the truck is not adequate for Deep Discharge batteries. You would be far ahead to invest in a small generator and use a proper Battery charger.

I have a little 1KW Honda generator for just that purpose. They are sort of pricey but quiet. Other brands are cheaper but not as quiet and reliable.

Just about everything you might want to know about charging batteries:

Dick

How short? Every two weeks I pull the trailer about half a block and back. Should I let it run longer after doing that?

Someone suggested getting a second alternator with more capacity for that purpose.

Thanks, I'll check that.

Mary

Reply to
Mary

For Generators take a a look at the EU1000. Unbelievably quiet.

Small. You can't power much with it but works great as a charger for an RV and weighs only 29 pounds.

The Coleman 1850s are not too bad. A lot cheaper.

Dick

Anything under 10miles round trip is considered a short trip. Take it out once a week to go grocery shopping, errands, whatever.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"