Long Time Lurker - First Time Caller

Good Day All,

First of all, my compliments on such an unselfish pool of knowledge. Y'all should be proud.

After a couple decades of having kids and moving around and about 8 months of searching for a rust free Beetle in Wisconsin, I am again counted as an air cooled beetle owner. I found one of the most rust-free '66 sunroof Beetles I've ever seen. (120,000 mi.) It needs some finishing to make up for a bunch of sitting and a poor previous paint job, but nothing major. I'm looking forward to finishing it up and having it ready for the snowmelt.

My goal is for this to be my primary driver for years to come as weather permits. I would also like to feel comforable if my wife or one of the kids takes it out.

I do have a handful of questions I'd like to throw out there in case some of you might have some quick answers and advice.

- I have the fenders and lids off to prep for paint and don't know what to do with the chrome trim on the door and rear quarter panels. I know the clips are accessible from inside, but the interior of the car is prisine and I would prefer to not monkey around with it. Is there a way to get the chrome strips off from the outside? I see the SS trim kits are about $70 and it might be worth that for me to NOT have to take apart the interior.

- The car tracks and drives great, but has to be rolling slightly in order to get the car in or out of reverse. Once rolling it shifts fine and there is no problem running up and down the forward gears. Is this something "inside" or does it sound like a linkage issue? Is this the begining of the end for the tranny?

- If it is the beginning of the end for the tranny, what is everyone's thought on the Freeway Flyers? I have about a 30 mile, one way commute to work completely on the freeway. If I can gain just a few mpg on the commute, I could probably pay for the FF in short order.

- Regarding the engine. It is the stock 1300 SP converted to 12V. It starts great and seems to run fine. It's a little rough when really cold, but idles and runs good when warm. It cruises along nice on the freeway at 65. That being said, it does have 120K miles on it and is leaking oil. (quite a bit more than a few drops here and there.) I have some available dollars and am leaning toward doing the engine while I have everything else apart. First to insure against a breakdown if my kids or wife are driving it and secondly so I can have the peace of mind of knowing I won't have to invest a couple precious summer weekends overhauling the engine. (plus this would give me a good excuse to paint the engine trim to match the car) :-)

As I shop for engine kits and put a value on my time, the longblocks seem to be the best value. The question is where to get one. Every Tom, Dick and Yo-Yo is selling longblocks online. Does anyone have a recommendation of a good engine company I could trust for a longblock? I stopped at MOFOCO is here in Milwaukee and they certainly had a bunch of aircooled heads, engines, trannys, etc. in the shop. They've been there since the '60s so I assume they've done something right.

Any feedback or recommendations re: the engine?

Finally, I'm going to add polished Empi 5-spokers and possibly the wide whitewall tires on it. In addition to those parts, who are the reputable mail order companies? I placed a modest order with jbugs.com and was underwhelmed with the quality and the service. (I still haven't received my complete order yet).

Thanks for your time and thoughts.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Welcome and congrats on the score - we'll want to see pix! Remco

Reply to
Remco

Jim, Sounds like a great find. Thanks for saving another one from the rust. Would love to see some pics, and in fact would like to see a series of pictures as the project comes along. When I go to car shows, I think I spend more time looking at the owner's photobooks of the progress, then I do the car itself. Igrew up in WI....went to college in Milwaukee.....long long ago...

Parts

Reply to
Reborn Parts
1) Keep the original engine even if you just change the oil, store it, and put a different engine in it to run with. The "original" engine helps keep up the value of the car later on.

Hopefully somebody else can answer on the tranny.

Welcome back to the AC Beetle community. Hope you can get a "winter beater" so you don't have to get salt on the bug.

Reply to
KWW

Congrats, as was mentioned; Sorry I can't help too much on most of your questions, I'm more familiar with the later models. I have heard and experienced some negativity regarding MOFOCO though, so I would caution you weigh your options and not simply go through them because they are local. I use them to pick up parts a lot, because I figure that a bosch regulator from them is just as good as one from the mail order places; but I'm hesitant to purchase parts that were built or machined in-house, including engines and transaxles. Ultimately, you have to make your own decision though. Where in Milwaukee are you located? I'm on the upper east side right now, but planning on moving to the Oak Creek area. Good luck with your project.

Reply to
sped372

Thanks Remco, I appreciate the welcome. It feels good to be "back". I'll try to get a photo or two, but since I'm working in a cold, dark garage I don't know what it'll look like. :-) I'll try.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Hey Parts,

Where are you from in Wisconsin? I'm a San Diego native WAAAY out of my element. Marquette? I was there '78-'82. Where are you now?

Jim

Reply to
Jim

KWW,

Thanks for the reply. The motor runs pretty well. I think once I get it painted, I'll give it a tune and some new tubes and see what happens. If' the oil is coming from the case I might rebuild it. I'm on a schedule now cuz my kid wants to use it for the prom ride instead of going in for a limo with his buddies. THAT'S cool.

The winter beater is a Civic so I'm good with that.

Thanks again.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Hi Sped372,

I'm in Wauwatosa now. we're done with our third house rehab in four years and now I'm hoping to "redirect" some of my time to the Beetles. What are your driving? I'd be happy to hook up sometime if you like. Are you a fan of local live music? Wifey and I like the open jams and I'd be happy to pop for a brew. Throw me an email at jcrahanNOSPAM@ wbmi.com if you like.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

I am also acquainted with several individuals who had less than a positive experience with MOFOCO. This company does not seem to have a particularly good reputation when it comes to refunds or returns on obviously defective parts. Exercise appropriate caution if you choose to deal with that business.

Best of luck with your '66 Bug. The 1300cc engine, which appeared only one year in US Bugs, but lasted until the end of ACVWs sold in Europe, is by far my favorite engine. Add the doghouse fan shroud and the larger oil cooler and that 1300 will be close to perfect.

Reply to
luftgekuhlten