cat codes are back

I am getting 0153 and 0420 codes pretty constantly now. The reader indicates that these are pre and post cat sensors. The guy at the shop said sometimes they can be cleaned. Anyone have any experience cleaning the O2 sensors? Are they hard to pull out? If I am getting both codes does that mean that both of them are going bad?

Thanx Mike

Reply to
Mike Copeland

Does the pre-cat sensor have over 20K or so? If so, just replace it. Some O2s are made in such a way that mud and crap on the outside can affect performance because it can block the fresh air side. If that O2 is new look for bad connections, then replace it. Look up the pre cat code for what bank it is and replace that O2 first. Clear the codes a see how it goes. Are those codes for the same bank?

Reply to
Scott M

Dunno if they are for the same bank. I was hoping that by listing the codes someone could tell me. These are the OEM sensors in a 96 Silverado with 125K on it. New sensors cost $65 each at Autozone so I don't want to replace both of them if they are not needed. I will try to clean them first. The codes have been reset three times now. Mike

Reply to
Mike Copeland

A google search showed p0153 is bank 2, sensor 1 (pre-cat) I would replace that one. I would guess you only have one post cat sensor (single exaust) that is the other code. Anyway, replace the bank 2 pre cat sensor and go from there.......It will probably fix your other code as well...125K on a O2 is alot of miles....

Reply to
Scott M

thanx, now for my next dumb question.....which one is bank 2? :) Mike

Reply to
Mike Copeland

right bank is 2 (pass side)

Reply to
Scott M

I hear that hitting them with a propane torch works to clean them.

They're easy to pull out - at the worse, you'll need to buy a special socket to get to them. On most trucks you can get them out with a standard open end wrench.

-marc

Reply to
Marc Westerlind