Chevrolet Colorado problems

Am thinking about buying a new Chevrolet Colorado truck.

2005 will be the 2nd year for these - I never buy any vehicle in the first year, maybe the second, usually the 3rd or later to be safe.

What problems have people had with these? Have the problems been fixed?

I am planning to get a 5 cylinder engine 4x4 either this year or next year.

thank you

Reply to
Rufus McPiddlegump

I bought one in August a 04. I5 Ext Cab. Wheel Aligignment was off, steering wheel was off to the right, and it drifted to the left. Was fixed. I have read that the tires are not that good. Will see in the snow. Other than tat it runs fine. Tim

Reply to
Tim

Here is some info related to tires and tire wear on the colorado.

Alan Happy Holidays

Premature Front Tire Wear (Set Front Z Height, Toe and Rotate or Replace Front Tires) #04-03-07-004 - (Oct 28, 2004) Premature Front Tire Wear (Set Front Z Height, Toe and Rotate or Replace Front Tires)

2004-2005 Chevrolet Colorado

2004-2005 GMC Canyon

Condition Some customers may comment on excessive front tire wear on the inside edge of the tire.

Cause On four wheel drive (4WD) models, an incorrect Z height trim setting, resulting in an excessive front sum toe-out of specification, may be the cause.

On two wheel drive (2WD) models, an incorrect front sum toe setting may be the cause.

Correction Follow the procedure below for diagnosis and repair of this condition.

Important: Prior to performing any tire repairs, permanently record the current tire inflation on the repair order.

1.. Permanently record the tire pressure settings on the repair order. 2.. Inspect the inside edge of the front tires for excessive wear. Refer to Tire Diagnosis - Irregular or Premature Wear (SI Document ID 8063). . If the inner front edge of the tires are worn to the wear indicators, replace the front tires and continue with the next step. . For repair information, refer to Tire Mounting and Dismounting (Document ID #290800). . For tire warranty information in the U.S., refer to Warranty Administration - GM New Vehicle Tire Warranty Program Bulletin Number 00-03-10-003G, dated April 2004 (SI Document ID #1492203). . For tire warranty information in Canada, refer to Warranty Administration - GM of Canada New Vehicle Limited Warranty Tire Program Bulletin Number 01-03-10-003B, dated April 2004 (SI Document ID #1500943). . If the inner front edge of the tires are not worn to the wear indicators, rotate the tires and continue with the next step. Refer to Tire Rotation (SI Document ID #291584).

Important: Prior to performing any additional repairs, permanently record the following information on the repair order. . Z Height . Alignment Measurements . Fuel Level

3.. Set the inflation per the vehicle tire placard located on the driver's door. Important: On 2WD models, DO NOT replace the front coil spring(s) or add insulators to compensate for a low trim Z height. A lower trim Z height reading is acceptable as long as it is within specification. Refer to Trim Height Inspection Procedure (SI Document ID #1235409).

4.. Check and adjust the vehicle Z height to 116 mm (4.57 in) ± 5 mm (0.20 in). Refer to Trim Height Inspection Procedure (SI Document ID #1235409). Important: ON 2WD models, ONLY replace the front coil spring(s) if the trim Z height is out of specification.

5.. ON 2WD models, ONLY replace the front coil spring(s) if the trim Z height is out of specification. Refer to Front Coil Springs Replacement (SI Document ID #1217839). 6.. Check and adjust the vehicle front toe to 0.00° ± 0.20°. Refer to Front Toe Adjustment (SI Document ID #1208234). 7.. Road test the vehicle in order to verify that the steering wheel is straight.

Reply to
Alan Woodcock

I have about 4500 miles on my '04 crew cab. Runs great. Its has a momentary rough feel in that split second between when it fires the first cylinder, and when it actually fires up. The feeling last for about a 1/4 second. All of the I-5s I have tried at the dealer lot do the same thing.

Steering and handling is very good. I had a blast one day running it moderatley hard down a twisty gravel road just after I had about 500 miles on it. The traction cotnrol worked great, and its only a 2wd truck. I would never take it off road though. The ground clearance is almost nil.

It has adequate power to handle itself. I think the computer flattens out the acceleration because I get almost the same performance running empty or pulling a 1200lb trailer.

It is very roomy and comfortable. I have enough room in the front that I can move the seat forward a couple notches and still have room to drive comfortably. The rear is pretty roomy. My kids have adequate room to sit even with the front seats all the way back, and if I move the front seats forward a couple notches there is room for an average size adult in the back.

It came with custom Chevy rims and low profile tires and the tires were out of round or some such nonsense. The dealer put new tires on it and the problem went away. I would have to say the stereo system is exceptional with its auto level, and good speakers. I actually went out and bought some new CDs just to keep in this truck.

My only real complaint is the ground clearance. I should have bought the Z-71 model. This one drags the rear towing connector when going over humps and dip curbs all the time. It also drags the under carriage when going over larger speed bumps. As soon as I can I will be lifting this truck several inches, atleast in the rear. I think the whole thing should be about 3 inches higher. The front end is irrating when pulling up to parking bumpers. The bumper skirt just clears them, but the metal underneath makes a solid jarring thunk when I pull forward a little too far.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

isn't that all they offer is a 5 cycliner?

4x4 either this year or next
Reply to
William C.

I own a 2004 Colorado Crew Cab with ZQ8 Suspension (Sport suspension (Dropped 2" compared to other Colorado's). The only issue I had with the truck was a water leak between upper & lower firewall on driver's side, dealer repaired it once located.

The Colorado handles excellently and the ride is extremely smooth (smoother than most cars I've reddened in), the crew cab is comfortable & roomy with 4 adults travelling in it. I've been out in few snow storms with it and the traction control works great, TC highly recommend if you purchase a

2WD. The frame is extremely stiff, a lot stiffer than my S-10. The stereo is good but I wouldn't consider it great, but adequate for most people. The I-5 is adequate for the normal driving conditions and on the highway, and it is a lot smoother than the S-10's 4.3L V6.

The only personnel complaint I have about the Colorado is the interior dash and center console, I think for the money GM could have done a better job, very straight and plain, something you would expect to see in an inexpensive vehicle. Told GM designed the dash and centre console this way to give the illusion of a bigger interior and thus bigger truck.

Reply to
Willette