Chevy/Ford truck question

Which Chevrolet truck is equivalent to the Ford 150? TIA

Reply to
Dinah

Mike Levy

Thanks. I was originally interested in the Chev truck S-10 but thought I might go a little bigger and I liked the size of the Ford 150.

Reply to
Dinah

What are you planning on using the truck for...Hauling, daily driver, off road, long haul vacations? What percentage of each?

Reply to
Shades

Dinahwrote: "Which Chevrolet truck is equivalent to the Ford 150?"

The Chevy 1500 series will get you better gas mileage then the Ford.

Sarge

Reply to
Sarge

Reply to
Sigwings

I would see items in the classifieds that I wanted to buy but no way to get them home. I also buy a lot of plants, fertilizer, landscaping materials. The bottom line use it for things I couldn't haul in the car. The S-10 would be fine except I like to take my dog (collie size) with me and decided the S-10 would not be big enough inside but want to stay with the best gas mileage.

Reply to
Dinah

S-10 was available with an extended cab Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Or the crew cab. I actually wanted an s10 crew cab but decided I didn't want to loose the 6' bad, I wish they had offered a crew cab with the 6' instead of 4.5' but most people would do fine with the shorter bed.

Reply to
Eugene Nine

I would look into a 3/4T(2500). Its better to have more than you think you will need because you will need more than you have at some point.

1000lbs adds up REAL fast and today's trucks sacrifice load capacity for ride. I was loading almost 2000lbs into an '87 K20 Chevy 4x4 and it squatted much less than the '02 2500HD with 1000lbs. The '02 won for power but with the 6L the MPG sucked compared to the '87's 350.

For strength, Ford and Dodge are better(Its a frame issue). For reliability, power, and resale, Chevy/GMC is better. Ride is similar in all. Capacity is close for all three to.

If you trust yourself enough to not overload your truck and follow proper loading, you could go with a 1500 Z71 with the towing package and get the 5.3 for mileage.

Reply to
Shades

If you were considering the S-10 you might also take a look at the new Colorado that replaced the S-10. Look at the extended cab if you want more interior space. The 5 cylinder engine is targeted at people who want better mileage without having to sacrifice all of the power. I have an S-10 4cylinder and I can tell you it is way underpowered. In the mountains, I have trouble keeping up highway speeds, otherwise it is just sluggish. I have been looking at upgrading to the Colorado as I don't want to feed the V8.

D> Thanks. I was originally interested in the Chev truck S-10 but thought I

Reply to
Utopian Drifter

Dinah wrote: "Thanks. I was originally interested in the Chev truck S-10 but thought I might go a little bigger and I liked the size of the Ford

150."

You want room, power and the works check out Dodge's new Mega Cab. Drove one the other day with the Cummins diesel and that baby moves.

Sarge

Reply to
Sarge