Classic ?

My local dealer said my 1988 S10 PU is now a classic. What?

When does that happen?

Kelly Bluebook does not go back that far.

How do I find its value?

Reply to
Bob R

I believe the "classic" designation is a vehicle over 25 years. With a vehicle that's in great shape, it's should be the time it should start to appreciate instead of depreciate each year.....I don't think it means anything for your value if your PU is a daily driver that looks it age...If it's crap, it's now just "classic" crap. But if it's in great shape & a desirable model, you may want to keep it that way, but it depends on the make and model, as well as which version of a model (think a classic Roadrunner vs. a Roadrunner Superbird). A 1980's era Hyundia Excel for example, may now be a classic - but it still crap even if you could find one, while a 1980's full size Bronco in great shape would be way more desirable (imo)...

In NY, it also comes into play with insurance, as you can submit your "classic" to your insurance company and get reduced rates IF you also submit your mileage yearly, as you can not go over a certain low mileage (2-5K a year(?) roughly). The designation was meant for classic cars you drive occasionally, to meets, shows and the such, and your rate is a lot lower....

As you mention a dealer, if you're thinking of trading it in and it's in great shape, you might want to sell it privately as you will not get jack for it from a dealer, classic or not. The only time I trade in is when the vehicle is a clunker (a '93 Buick Skylark with a transmission that was going traded for a 2012 Toyota) or if the price difference between trade-in and selling privately is low enough to not warrant the hassle...

All the above just mho....

Reply to
IYM