Cruise Control Upgrade for 2004 Silverado.

My truck is a 2004 bottom-or-the-line Silverado Work Truck with 4-speed automatic and 4.8L V-8.
I have heard from several people that all 2004 Silverado trucks are
pre-wired from the factory to accept the OEM Delco Cruise Control Lever. If what I have been told is true, all you need to do is unplug the original turn signal lever and replace it with one which has the cruise control buttons. Apparently, there is no need to do any computer programming and the truck will now have the equivalent of a ready-to-operate factory installed cruise control.
Is this too good to be true? Unfortunately, my local Chevy dealer will not confirm or deny that this simple cruise control upgrade is possible. However, the information below indicates that the cruise control upgrade is a plug-and-play operation for all 2004 Silverado trucks:
BRAND NEW CRUISE CONTROL KIT REPLACES FACTORY HANDLE & IS IDENTICAL TO ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT CRUISE CONTROL SYSTEM CRUISE CONTROL, BLINKERS, HIGH / LOW BEAM, HAZARDS,WINDOW WASH, AND DELAY WIPERS ARE ALL INCORPORATED INTO THIS HANDLE. IT WILL FIT '03 & '04 MODEL YEAR TRUCKS WITH A V-8 ENGINE FROM BOTH CHEVY, AND GMC- 1500 / 2500 / 3500 , ALONG W/ SUBURBAN ETC. (WILL NOT WORK ON V-6). DEALER INSTALLED UPGRADES RANGE FROM $395.00 TO $550.00 YOU CAN INSTALL THIS YOURSELF AND SAVE $$$ HUNDREDS $$$ WE KNOW BECAUSE WE INSTALL THEM FOR DEALERS !! SINCE WE CANNOT TAKE CARE OF ALL THE DEALERS IN THE COUNTRY, I THOUGHT I'D PASS THIS ON TO YOU ! THIS KIT INSTALLS IN ABOUT 20 MIN, AND REQUIRES NO SPECIAL TOOLS EASY, DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS ARE INCLUDED! YOU CAN EVEN CALL US WITH QUESTIONS DURING THE INSTALL !! 12 MONTH / 12,000 MILE WARRANTY EXTENDED WARRANTY AVAILABLE!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2480182644&category=50459
I have tried to order the 2004 Silverado Service Manual Set from Helm (in order to research the cruise control section), but these manuals have not been published yet:
http://www.helminc.com/helm/product2.asp?class%5F2=CHV&mk=Chevrolet+%26+Geo&yr=All+Years&md=Silverado&dt=&module=&from=result&Style=&Sku=GMT04CK8PU&itemtype=N&mscsid=Q72DPGGW31S88GB4MNAHHV6R26V585GB
Does anyone know if it is possible to obtain a genuine Delco cruise control upgrade from a Chevrolet dealer? (I have already been to my local dealer, and he claims to know nothing about how to do this.) Or, could a speedometer/cruise control shop do this upgrade without causing any damage and/or voiding the warranty on my truck? The last thing I need is to void my warranty.
Thanks
I studied this delima last year after buying my 03 silverado. No dealership could answer the question about hooking up the cruise with the factory turn signal switch. I talked to quite a few dealerships in several states. The parts manager at my local dealership where I bought the truck told me he would research it and get back to me. After a week he told me that the computer has to be programmed for the cruise control to work. He didn't know of any place that could program the computer other than the factory. There are aftermarket cruise controls available that hook up to the pre-wiring.

...In regard to plug-and-play cruise control question:
<<I studied this delima last year after buying my 03 silverado. No dealership could answer the question about hooking up the cruise with the factory turn signal switch. I talked to quite a few dealerships in several states. The parts manager at my local dealership where I bought the truck told me he would research it and get back to me. After a week he told me that the computer has to be programmed for the cruise control to work. He didn't know of any place that could program the computer other than the factory. There are aftermarket cruise controls available that hook up to the pre-wiring.>>
Thanks for the information. I made up a list of 7 local Chevrolet dealerships, but so far, I have only checked with one of them. It looks like they will all have the same basic non-answer.
I can't understand why General Motors would put up a brick wall and make a dealer-installed cruise control upgrade an impossibility.
Did you have any luck getting an aftermarket cruise control?
No. I decided to wait a little while before adding cruise control. 99% of my driving is in the city.

I just installed new tires and wheels on my base model 03 sierra and I had the dealer reset my speedometer. They let me watch and I noticed that on the list of readouts was a line that read ' cruise control--- OFF. I asked the tech if I installed cruise control could the sensors be turned on? He told me that if the dealer can get gm engineering to let them download the software into the obd scanner then it could be, but gm is making the dealers get a special number that is applied to your vin before they will give them anything. They (gm) then decide if your vehicle will 'support' it, meaning if it was an option for your truck at the time of assembly then they might allow it. The tech told me the biggest obstacle you will have is ; if you want a factory unit the dealership can't order the whole thing in one piece. They have to order each part separately. Also don't tell them its an aftermarket unit or gm will not give you the software. A wrecking yard might be a option to get the factory stuff. Maybe "doc' or one of the techs here can correct me if I'm wrong but thats the info I got from the tech I talked to.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item $80182644&categoryP459
[...]
Thanks for the reply.
I thought that adding a dealer-installed cruise control would be a simple procedure.
Apparently I was wrong.
Does the 2004 do "throttle by wire"? If not, then I doubt it's as simple as a new turn signal handle. Something has to physically move the throttle plate and without drive by wire that something is an additional servo under the hood with it's own cable to the throttle body/throttle lever.
wrote:

-- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:
"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789
Yes, the 04s are drive by wire. I think 03 was the first year--------Alex

Ya, My 03 Silverado is Drive by wire. There is NO Cable! I've seen the 04's and they are the same also. I don't know if just adding a new turn signal handle will allow you cruse control though. I'm sure all the required Hardware is there already as it's all computer controlled already, but possible the computer may need to be updated to know that you added the option. If so that may be a hard thing to get changed. You could always buy it and try it out and see if it works, and then let everyone here know if it does or doesn't. Return it if it doesn't work.