Different Brake Problem - 1991 Extended Cab

Truck will pull to the right under moderate braking, will really pull to the right under heavy braking. Replace the left front caliper ($13) and brake hose, bleed it out, still pulling. Tried to use just the parking brake to see if maybe the rear was the problem, but didn't pull. Any ideas? Didn't think it would be the proportioning valve, aren't they only for front to back?

Reply to
Troy

..

Different Brake Problem - 1991 Extended Cab On Mon, Sep 22, 2003, 11:01pm (CDT+5) snipped-for-privacy@spamsucks.comcast.net (Troy) put forth this call for help............

(words in parenthesis provided by Scrib)

(diagnostic test drive)

Truck will pull to the right under moderate braking, will really pull to the right under heavy braking.

($13 technical seminar)

Replace the left front caliper ($13) and brake hose, bleed it out, still pulling.

(expert diagnostic technique)

Tried to use just the parking brake to see if maybe the rear was the problem, but didn't pull.

(expert diagnostic question)

Any ideas?

(random thoughts, riddled with self-doubt)

Didn't think it would be the proportioning valve, aren't they only for front to back?

Troy

Troy, Lift the front wheels off the ground. Shove an appropriate length of 2x4 between the seat and the brake pedal, applying the brakes. (we're assuming here that you don't have a wife or girfriend with at least one good leg)

Wedge a long piece of pipe between two of the lug nuts for leverage and try to spin the wheels. If the drivers wheel can be FORCED to turn................................ (we're assuming here you were'nt driving backwards on your test drives, in which case I have you on the wrong side of the truck...my apologies) ...............try bleeding the brakes again.

" I F " the wheel will not spin......check your suspension and steering linkage. Focus on the idler arm and lower ball joints. But don't rule out that upper controll arm bushing that you been meaning to change.

if all this looks good........

I'm sorry I wasted all your time.

Scrib Abell ~~would do something stupid.......like clamp off the right front and rear brake hose and take a really ...really ....really ...slow drive across the parking lot......but then again.....Scrib has access to a lift...........and a 4 ft. pry bar....... and a brake depressor..........and a wife with one good leg~~

utilized for it's intended purpose, the following is a vengfull tool.............

the easiest way to get a job done..................is to get the shop braggart to "show" you how to do it..................and look astonished when he's through...............

Reply to
Scribb Abell

check your rears too.... hitting the parking brake won't show any wheel cylinder probs in the rear.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

At the risk of stating the obvious......have you checked the tire pressure on the right side? A low tire will make it pull for sure.

My .02 Mike

Reply to
Mike Copeland

Yep. Check that every weekend.