Astra brakes ??

My son has bought a 2 ltr turbo Astra 2001reg (nice car) However he was concerned about the brakes making a grinding noise when braking hard, so we change the brake pads (discs look fine) as the old one were low (about 6mm left) although we could not see any obvious metal to metal contact. So with new pads fitted and given some time to bed-in I took the car for a brake test on local disused air field. Under normal braking the brakes are fine, under heavy (emergency) braking we are still getting a grinding noise, The ABS takes over and you get that soft brake pedal effect and the car stops without pulling to any side, by we still get the grinding noise.

Any ideas????...Thanks

Reply to
Alistair Ross

Did you check the pads all around could be them ?

Reply to
ChromieVandy

Were they pattern pads ? I had a similar problem on an escort which was cured by genuine pads. Obviously the discs need to be in good nick

Reply to
MrCheerful

Could be ABS pump as it kicks in when braking hard. I can't remember what car it was now but I drove one that made a horrible grinding metal to metal sound as the ABS pump kicked in. Try temporarily removing the ABS fuse or disconnect the plug and see what that does.

Reply to
redwood

That's about half worn.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That kills the power steering on these, though. Just a heads up.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Is it the body kit hitting the ground? :-)

ABS usually make a vibrating sound.

Reply to
adder1969

ABS can sound like a grinding noise on some vehicles. Also I'm sure astra's relied on EBD (Electronic Brakeforce Distributiion) for the rear brake compensation, which essentially means the ABS on the rear brakes will kick in under heavy braking. Provided there's plenty material on all the pads, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Reply to
moray

Pads don't normally need changing until the friction material is around 3mm thick.

You could try filing a lead on the pads to see if it makes any difference, but failing that I'd suggest replacing the pads and discs with OE ones, unless you know for certain that they are fitted at present. If the discs have been replaced by pattern ones, it could be that they are incompatible with the pads, or vice versa. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Thanks to all for your help

We are going to have a blitz on the brakes to try and sort this, as this is a safety issue we will change all discs, pads fluid etc (relativley cheap to do) so will not hurt too much. If its still there will check ABS....."now where did I put my old AVO meter!!" Will let you know the outcome.....ttfn.....Alistair

Reply to
Alistair Ross

Really? Apart from not having to worry about them for a while, what does 3mm give you that 2mm doesn't?

Reply to
adder1969

very thin pads can overheat and fade more easily than thicker, I have also seen very thin lining fall off the backing

Reply to
MrCheerful

Less chance of failure due to fade is the main reason AFAIC. There is also the point that pads and discs don't wear evenly, and pads that are 2mm thick where they're visible, might be much thinner on the inner side, and is it really worth trying to get a few more miles out of a set of pads, when it might compromise safety? After all. How much is a set of pads. Around £30, for pads that'll last for

10-15k miles?. Personally I don't believe in trying to save money on things like tyres and brakes. Mike.
Reply to
Mike G