Distributor help needed 1988 chevy truck 350

I had to replace the intake manifold gasket on my 1988 chevy truck with a 350 TBI due to a coolant leak. I've got it all back together and it
won't start. It does fire some just not enough to start.
I'm thinking the problem is when I reinstalled the distributor. I marked the postion of the rotor and the distributor to the manifold before I removed it. I ran into one small problem when re-installing the distributor, the rotor did not end up in exactly the same location. It might be 10 degrees off or one tooth on the gear. The distributor would not fully seat unless I choose the gear positon that appears to be off by one. I did not turn over the engine before reinstalling the distributor.
I read on the newsgroup that the distributor can only be installed right or 180 degrees out. That appeared to be the case here. I'm sure I don't have it 180 degrees out - just one gear tooth off maybe.
I do have the distributor housing installed exactly as it was before so the timing is'nt off due to the clamp position.
I obviously don't know exactly what I'm doing. I'm just trying to learn something here. I've got the hard part done - I just need it to start again!
What would cause the one tooth off problem on the rotor alignment? The distributor seemed to seat only one way.
Any help would be appreciated.
Brian

The oil pump drive shaft which is turned by the distributor, is an 8 sided affair, and when you pulled the distributor it rotated slightly back words. when you go to reinstall the distributor it wont go in exactly correct with out doing one of two things, find someway to rotated the shaft slightly, or install the distributor as it should be and while putting light pressure on it,have someone bump the starter and it will drop in the rest of the way. The distributor can be installed as many ways as there are teeth on the drive gear.. 88 TBI didn't use a cam position sensor, so technically off one tooth shouldn't hurt you, you will have to move the distributor slightly while someone cranks it till it starts. make sure you have good wires doing this. Of course the correct way is to bring the number 1 cylinder to TDC and then install the distributor, making sure the rotor points to the #1 position on the cap.
Whitelightning
Whitelightning - thank you very much for the advice.
I removed the distributor, used a screwdriver to rotate the oil pump, and reinstalled the distributor in the correct position one tooth over. It was flooded from my previous starting attempt, but, it did start and seems to be running fine now!
Best of all I don't see any leaks from my intake manifold gasket replacement. I changed the oil and I think I'm ready to go now. The only bad thing that happen is one plastic retaining clip broke off one of the distributor wiring harnesses. All the plastic is rotten under the hood so I'm glad only one connector tab broke!
Reading the old posts in this newsgroup provided lots of useful information regarding intake manifold gasket replacement. The only thing I missed was that the oil pump might move which keeps the distributor from seating properly. I did have to wresle with the distributor to get it to break loose since its been in one place for almost 19 years so I suppose it's not surprising that the oil pump moved a little.
Thank you again!
Brian