Dual cat

I headers on my 94 suburban. right now they are connected to a single cat. I
would like to go to dual cats so I have a true dual exhaust. does anybody
know if a kit for this exists or will I need to have one fabricated?
Reply to
smoove
Depending on what State your in, will depend on what you can do. In California for example you can't convert it over to a true Dual system even if you were to add another converter.
Reply to
JBDragon
I'm in Arizona. Where can I find out that rule? Is there a reason why they have that rule in Cali?
Reply to
smoove
Yes because they don't allow any changes from the OEM configuration due to extremely tough emission laws. Talk to a reputable exhaust shop in your area, they ought to know what's legal in your state.
Brian
Reply to
el Diablo
Only if by design they remove the same amount of emission that a single does. The state of California doesn't feel like getting in the exhaust engineering business to determine if an exhaust system installed by an owner meets OEM specifications. I'm not agreeing with it just explaining it.
Brian
Reply to
el Diablo
thanks for the info. I will call a local Phoenix performance shop tomorrow. I could always cheat and do it anyway. A friend of mine says its not a true dual exhaust unless each header has its own cat, muffler, and exhaust tips sticking out the back.
Reply to
smoove
On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 18:54:52 -0700, "smoove" wrote:
Well, if you are going to do something illegal anyway, why not just go to true duals without the cats. Another thing to try may be what I plan to do: Tri-Y hedders Two into one crossover pipe 3" cat 3" pipe to the back without muffler I tried it before and a cat without the muffler is at least as quiet as some of the mufflers I hear on the street these days.
All of the above can be had with certification that will pass any test you will encounter.
Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

Site Timeline Threads