Duramax Fuel Filter?

Anyone know how I can save some money? The dealerships get plenty for changig these and I have never done it on a deisel. I had a guy say somethig about unhooking a wire then taking a cap off and putting it on the new one then remove the filter and screw it back on and plug in the wire ... does that sound close? Thanks for any help and is there a certain brand or anything I should use. this truck is a 2004 I bought in June New and I have 52,000 on it.

Bob :)

Reply to
Bob Perkins JustaBenz

Fill the filter with fresh diesel fuel before installing it. AC Delco filters are hard to beat, off brand, NAPA or WIX. Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Thanks a Bunch ! So I guess that guy told me right he just forgot to mention filling it up !

Have a Great One ! Bob :)

Reply to
Bob Perkins JustaBenz

Check with these guys:

Rich

Actually on the Duramax you don't have to fill it with fuel. There is a primer pump and bleeder screw on top of the filter mount that will do the job for you, which is very convenient since the original filter is screwed on pretty tightly (I had to remove the passenger side battery in order to get enough leverage to remove it. Remember to disconnect the plug for the water sensor that goes into the bottom of the filter before removing it, and take the sensor off the old filter and install it onto the new one using the new gasket provided with the new filter.

As for the primer pump it works very easily. Just open the bleeder screw about one full turn and press the plunger several times until you get fuel from the screw instead of air. Tighten the screw and you're done.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race