Fuel filter question Citroen AX

I started giving my AX its 72000 mile service today.

When I came to the fuel filter, the new one I'd bought had the arrow pointing in the opposite direction from the one which was fitted. I fitted the new one according to the arrow and the car is running, but the filter doesn't seem to be such a snug fit in the retaining strap as the old one.

Unlike the diagram in the Haynes manual the strap does not seem to be adjustable. Does anybody have experience of changing this type of filter? If it were fitted backwards what would the consequences be?

I think the filter I have removed must have been the original one, because the hose clips were the crimp on type. I've replaced them with worm screw jubilee clips. They should be slightly less scary to remove next time! There's nothing like bashing two bits of metal together next to some petrol and hoping it doesn't cause a spark to make you concentrate...

David.

Reply to
David Linley

After market filters generally aren't made to quite the same specification.

I'm guessing this is an inline type filter? If it is, fitting them the wrong way round generally won't cause much problem, unless they happen to have a one way valve in them. Off course, if it get's blocked, the actual filter element might not be quite as strong with reverse flow, and may collapse

What kind of hose clips did you use? The standard type have a habit of bunching the hose up, and causing it to leak slightly. You should use proper fuel line clips, which are a different design, and prevent the hose bunching up.

Reply to
moray

"moray" wrote in news:ffg6ek$pjt$1$ snipped-for-privacy@news.demon.co.uk:

Yes. It's under the nearside of the car strapped to the petrol tank just in front of the rear wheel arch and the fuel hose goes into one end and out of the other.

I can't see any obvious leaks from them yet.

I'll see if I can get a pair of these and replace the ones I used.

Thanks for your advice. David.

Reply to
David Linley