Electrical Short_driving me nuts

I have a 3/4 ton Chev that has a short somewhere and I have been going buggy trying to find it.

I step on the brakes and the parking lights go on with the hazards (no flashing). No turn signals either.

All bulbs are good, new flasher, wire is good from firewall back to tail lights and trailer wiring. Any ideas?

Reply to
Patrick t.

Sorry, forgot to mention it is an 83 Chev.....

Reply to
Patrick t.

Reply to
bobo

Patrick, I know you've already mentioned that all the bulbs are good, but I'm going to ask you to take a good look at the bulbs, specifically any of the bulbs that have 2 filaments in them, like the turn signal/brake light bulbs.......check to see if any of the filaments have gotten hot and drooped down to touch the other filament.....that little beauty cost me quite a bit of time one day. While checking the bulbs, pull them out of their sockets and make sure no crud has grown down in there between any of the terminals, that would have the same effect. From your description, you have some connection between the turn signal and parking(marker) circuits, and as always, check your ground connection at the back, it should be a wire screwed right to the frame up behind the rear bumper. If it looks good leave it, if it looks suspect clean and re tighten.

Reply to
Ed White

I found the problem. Couldn't sleep last night and got up and read the newsgroup and ran across a reference to the hazard light switch on an old post.

Got up early this morning, went out and tinkered a bit and viola. GM went down a big notch in my mind on that one..

It wasn't broken so much as it had lost a fraction of its plastic cam. Thanks for the input. I got maybe 500 miles out of this truck in five years because of these stupid problems and now I am going to drive the hell out of it, maybe to Alaska in the fall if I can get away.

Reply to
Patrick t.

That part I know is good. My little brother drives a big bad Peterbuilt and has a stash of big rig lights. I went nutso getting me a really good setup in case I go North in the fall. As mentioned in another response, it was the Hazard light switch. Thanks for responding.

Reply to
Patrick t.