More 97 Astro woes - spark plugs

I've done it again.

Trying to replace the spark plugs on my '97 Astro AWD. Hours and several scraped body parts later, I have all but cylinder #1 done. On that cylinder, I stripped the threads on the first plug (an ACDelco Professional Platinum - same as original), bought a new one, and I've stripped that one too.

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

At $6.50 each this is gettin' expensive.

The problem is that the clearance between a frame member and the hole seems too close when I try and get at the cylinder hole from the left side wheel well. I can't seem to get the plug straight enough when starting it.

A friend mentioned buying a chaser, but I'm afraid that that might do worse damage if I can't get it to start straight either.

The van is currently jacked up at the jack point, on both sides. There is nothing else jacked up on this vehicle.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

TIA,

Karl Perry

Reply to
Karl Perry

Never mind - I learned that a piece of fuel line hose at the end of the plug works great. Solved the problem in 5 minutes.

Karl

Professional

Reply to
Karl Perry

Wish I could take credit for it, but it was the manager at the parts store that told me about it. About a millisecond later I said, "yeah - I remember that."

Reply to
Karl Perry