FIX for steering lock stuck on 2001 Silverado?

The ignition of my 2001 Silverado won't turn. My 87 Sierra had the same problem and I just opened up the column and found the dud part and lubed it(and beaton it a little) - BUT this truck has a lot of crap in the way so I'm not sure where to start.

I'm guessing the prob is the steering lock because - the steering lock has NOT engaged, and coincidentally, the ignition switch won't turn.

Anyone have an idea of how to fix this without the GM two hundred dollar solution OR a ball-pean hammer?

Reply to
Derek