Fog lights won't shut off on 2001 Wrangler

My fog lights won't shut off even without the key in the ignition. I had to pull the relay under the hood to get them to shut off. I thought maybe the relay was stuck on, but a new relay doesn't solve the problem. I'm guessing it's the switch on the steering column, but I don't know. Has anyone seen this problem?

TIA,

Reply to
paulgiro

I have the exact same issue going on right now with my 2001 Jeep Wrangler. I disconnected the fog lights connection to where they connect to the headlights. Not under the hood, but near the wheel well area. The indictor light on the dash remains on, I have no idea how to turn this off, but so far that hasn't been an issue.

Reply to
basserman

Hmmm, I too have a 2001 Jeep Wrangler and now its fog lights will not shut off. I don't have a real solution but I do have a couple more symptoms. If I push the switch on the blinker bar hard it will turn off the fog lights, but they turn back on when I let go of the switch. I can get them to turn off and stay off by turning on the blinker. So I do that and it saves my battery overnight. When I start the car in the morning the blinker starts up, but that is no big deal, so I have a temporary solution but still need a fix. Any suggestions?

Reply to
kathyo119

Wow, seems common!

The lights (all of them) are controlled using a multiplex signal system. (Cuts down on the number of wires under the dash, and the swtiiches are much less expensive).

Three possibilities are that the switch is bad (IMHO, rare, but possible) and another is a short (ever more rare, since it would have to be the 'right' resistance.) The most likely cuplrit is the computer... (arrgggggg!)

You really need the schematic/wiring diagram to diagnose these systems, they are complex (my 2004 2500 and the Jeep Liberty) and without a diagram you are shootin gin the dark.

First try unplugging the switch, if the lights go off, suspect the switch. If not, the computer is your next alternative.

Reply to
PeterD