Fluid Flushes

How often do you guys change the rear end oil and automatic transmission fluid in your trucks? I have a '03 Silverado V6

V.B.

Reply to
V.B.

I am still doing it old school.

3 yr, 36,000 on the tranny if auto, 2 yr 24,000 if manual axles every 2 yr or 24,000 miles brake fluid 2 yrs or 24,000 miles Power steering fluid 2 yr or 24,000 miles transfer case would be 2 yr or 24,000 miles If it gets dunked, ie fording creeks, mud holes etc, then the axles and transfer case get done after playing along with repacking bearings if they are that style, and the front axle spindle bearings get re-packed as well (the forgotten bearing) given the problems I have been reading about with the slip joints on the rear drive shaft on 4x4, I think that would get greased every oil change.

oil and grease are cheap.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

1989 S10 257,000 mile bought new in 1988

Rear END fluid ---Original is in the Truck ( Never Changed) Tranny Fluid == Original ( Never Changed) Automatice With overdrive) Engine Oil --- Changed 6 Times ( uses 1 Qt every 10,000 miles)( Quaker State oil) Transfercase - Original

Reply to
no one

And I get 45MPG with my Ford Explorer.........

Reply to
Bob

It's not a lie!

Truck is used for a business and I have the Records to prove it !

How can Fluid in a SEAL unit Get Dirty. u say Shavings, Then your Fluid is Not ANY GOOD!

Too many people Believe What they READ in a BOOK!

Reply to
no one

More of us believe what we SEE when we tear down engines, diffs, and trannys. The things aren't sealed air and water tight , they have vents, they are subject to condensation. Clutches and bands wear in trannys. Seals wear, heat breaks down additives. I've pulled engines down owned by people like you, you pull the valve covers off and there is so much sludge built up it looks like the valve covers are still on, and you have to borrow your kids beach toy shovel to clean out the galley when the intake comes off.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Very empressive Whitelightning..

I was Raised in the Auto Repair Business.

I am retired now!

I changed a leaking Valve cover in Sept and the ENGINE has no Sludge!! Sludge Goes with PENNSOIL/ Shell OIL!

The oil Filter Which is mounted on the fender Had to be Changed since a pin Hole RUSTED thru The CASING, if that tells u how long the filter had been on the Truck..

Also My 90 Chevy 3.1 chevy car Never gets it's oil changed Either.. Car has 350,000 miles on it! SAme Tranny fluid when I bought it in 1989 .

Reply to
no one

My father used to do the same thing. NEVER a problem. He showed me an old copy of Popular Mechanics (or similar) with an article about taxis that were used for a test. Half the fleet had regular 3000 mile oil changes and the other half only had the filter changed and top up the crankcase to make up for the quart lost in the old filter. The regular oil change cars had sludge and the no change cars had none. There were pics and everything.

One of my father's friends also acted like this and he had no problems either - EVER.

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

Thank you for the ENCOURAGEMENT!!!

Two Friends Bought S-10's The Same year As I Did. They Warned me About Not Changing OIL and Tranny Fluid.

Well They Changed theirs Regularly and Both of Them S-10 Needed Trannys after 7 years ( Mine is original) One Motor Started Knocking So He JUNKED the TRUCK, One Year later The Other Truck put A ROD threw The Side of The Block. Junked His Truck also.

So I guess with My Truck Still Running with no problems , I WAS and AM STILL Wrong By Not Changing The OIL in this World , That Has an OIL Shortage Due to The Fact that people Change Their OIL too often!

Another Theroy is that Those Auto manufacture PAY nothing for the OIL they Get to put in NEW VEHICLES. The Big OIL companies make the Manufactures Put a Clause in The Vehicle Warrentee that the new ower MUST Change the oil every So many miles ... And OIL is FREE to the Manufactures.

The Auto manufactures Know that Ther CAN FOOL the Majority of the PEOPLE ALL THE TIME ! and most of those Dummies, Take Their Vehicle Back to the DEALER for the $100.00 OIL change. Not knowing that They can Do it Themselves for Less than $15.00

Reply to
no one

Usually I don't comment on other person's writings.After reading what "no one"has been stating as facts,I feel obligated to refute some of his opinions and information.I must qualify that I have been a shadetree mechanic for over 55 yrs.I am not an expert in anything about cars.But my cars generally only see a dealer when under warranty.With a family of 9 kids,I have owned over 30 different vehicles(sedans,trucks,vans Etc.) and 3 motorcycles.In my 13 years of retirement I re-build engines as a hobby. Mr."no one"is also insulting when he calls us dummies.Most people ignore him,but there are a lot of sharp repair people out there who know the truth.I retired from a worldwide known petroleum and chemicals manufacturing company as a lab supervisor.I know oils and additives,along with a very good knowledge of filters through testing and experimentation.. I presently own a 1975 GMC 3/4 ton pickup with over 400,000 miles on it.I have replaced or repaired,brakes,bearings along with power steering pump,alternators,batteries,starters,water pump,a/c compressor etc.But I have never touched any part of the engine that has to do with oil lubrication and that includes the oil pump.I also own a van and a sedan that run like new. To emphasize the importance of changing oil,(because I had the equipment and testing facilities available and my own time)I ran tests on my truck's oil for at least 10 years using a 500 ml separatory funnel and centrifuging the separated particles.The tests were run in specific mileage increments of

3,000, 5,000and 10,000.The results would amaze even the most skeptical. I do not claim to be an authority on this or any other subject and I am very comfortable with what I know from my experience on my vehicles.(There are many variables in oil viscosity,type of engines,use of vehicle and temperature conditions) I am sorry about the long e-mail but I can't stand by and read misinformation that might harm innocent people in their efforts to maintain their vehicles correctly. Finally,the oil companies do not have any say in the manufacturer's procedures for warranty purposes and oil is not "free" Recommendation:CHANGE THE OIL IN BOTH ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION AT SUGGESTED INTERVALS. "no one" wrote in message news:2HwAf.21039$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com...
Reply to
Handyman

Oil shortage ? Yeah ok.

100.00 for a oil change ? What drugs are you on ? GM Dealer did mine last week. 6 qts of oil and oil filter. Under $20.00 >
Reply to
kevin weaver

Try amsoil synthetic oil & grease. You can more than double your change out,& increase your drive trane life. Check it out at amsoil.com. Prefered customer #409150. Any questions E Mail Me.

Reply to