Re: 05-06 Dura-Max diesel w/Allison trans

Hello out there. I am looking to buy a 06 Chev 1ton w/ 360 hp turbo diesel and Allison 6 spd. I know there isn't much on this, but the 05 owners might know. Please, any comments regarding reliability or any problems appreciated.

Thanks!!

Reply to
Postman

Greetings,

I have an '04 Chevy 2500HD crew cab with the Duramax and Allison tranny and think it is an excellent truck. The engine and transmission have been completely trouble-free. I realize that my motor does not have the same power output and my Allison is only a 5-speed, but if my performance is any indication then I feel you should have an equally superlative experience as well.

I have done no power or performance modifications to my truck whatsoever, and frankly at the output levels we are talking about here you really have little or no need for any (you have to admit that 360hp/600+ ft-lbs of torque from the factory is monstorous). Just to be extra safe, I personally recommend adding an auxillary inline fuel filter because problems caused by bad fuel may not be covered under the warranty (and fuel injectors are VERY expensive). I use a Racor unit with a 2 micron element that is mounted on the inside of the driver's side frame rail. By the time the fuel passes through this filter and the factory unit (also 2 micron), the fuel is polished clean, and if the junk that settles in the clear bottom of the aux filter is any indication then I'm glad of it.

Unless you are just showing off or simply have too much money to spend then you really don't need an expensive aftermarket exhaust or intake, chip or programmer. I have a 3.73 rear end and routinely get 18.5mpg in combined driving and 21+mpg on the highway. You will undoubtedly have 4.10 rear gears which may reduce that somewhat, but the 6th speed in the Allison will help when unloaded.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

The '06 with 360 hp is called the 6.6L HO (high output) and only comes with a 3.73 rear end. The early '06s had the 6 speed Allison, but didn't have the HO engine. I almost bought one of these in error because I thought all '06s with the 6 speed had the new engine. The new 6.6L HO engine has 360 hp and 650 ft-lbs of torque. By the way, the sticker price for the new engine is only $30 more than the old one. The dually in 6th gear at 1,550 rpm goes 60 mph. It shifts to 5th at about 45 mph and to 6th at about 53 mph. I haven't checked out the shift points in tow/haul mode yet.

I drove my '01 Chevy 3500 crew cab long bed 4x2 dually Duramax 96,000+ miles and other than normal maintenance only had to replace one part. The arm/switch assembly for the signal lights, wipers, washer, high/low, cruise control developed an intermittent short in the wiper circuit, a $285 part. I averaged 17.58 mpg for 59,000+ miles of solo driving and 9.65 mpg 36,000+ miles of towing a 35' triple slide 5th wheel.

Ron who now has a '06 3500 Silverado Crew Cab Long Bed Dually, 6.6L HO Duramax Diesel and Allison 6 Speed Automatic Transmission

Reply to
Ron Recer