type of power steering fluid?

Hi, all,
I notice that the power steer fluid on my 2001 Corolla is near the lower level if not little bit below. I check the user manual and find
out that the power steering fluid type listed is DEXRON II or III of auto transmission fluid, is it true that power steering fluid is using the same fluid as auto transmission fluid in 2001 Corolla?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Yes, if it is specified. ATF is used in many hydraulic systems and as a lubricant in some manual transmissions.

I bought toyota ATF from local dealer a year ago and the label on the container says that it is Type T-IV, is it the same as DEXRON II or III? can I use it to top off the steering fluid?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Technically, it is not the same. Go a purchase a quart of Dextron II or III. It's not very expensive at all. You can usually get it at any mass merchandiser such as WalMart.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

You might be able to, but you shoudl ask the dealer first.
Jeff
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

For this car, it uses Dextron II or III transmission fluid as power steering fluid. Other cars use other types of fluid as power steering fluid.
Jeff

Dexron III can be used whenever Dexron II is specified, but not vice versa. T-IV is a different type of fluid and is not interchangeable with Dexron.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Dexron III is a type of automatic transmission fluid. Do not substitute power steering fluid or Dexron II if your car calls for Dexron III. You can use Dexron III if Dexron II is specified. Look for Dexron III in the area with the automatic transmission fluid.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 10:25:29 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com"